30

FanFiction
Just In
Community
Forum

More
Game, set, match by Xrost
 Books » Harry Potter Rated: T, English, Humor & Romance, Millicent B., George W., Words: 61k+, Favs: 58, Follows: 76, Published: Mar 11, 2011 Updated: Jun 5
151 Chapter 30
Millicent might have blown off her classes that day, if there was something better that she could have been doing. If she did, she'd probably just tear herself up trying to figure out whether she could have read this situation before it had happened. Besides, Pansy and Granger were going to be in some of her classes so she could keep an eye on that if nothing else.

"Is that Granger cow looking at me?" Twenty minutes into their Charms class and this was the fourth time Pansy had asked. She was waving her wand above a goblet of myrrh, chewing the thumb-nail of her free hand, and was carefully not looking in Granger's direction – hadn't glanced her way once all lesson.

Millicent checked. Granger was trying to correct Ron Weasley's wand swish, and did not look as though she was aware Pansy even existed. Millicent wondered whether she should lie and say that Granger was looking just so Pansy would relax and not chew the rest of her nails to the quick. "No."

"Good!" exclaimed Pansy and hit her goblet with the wand so hard that it shattered. "She'd better not either. She has creepy eyes."

Millicent glanced across at Granger again. She seemed very focussed on the Weasley's hand, head bent over so that her hair fell in a curtain around her face, shielding her from anyone outside of it, as she adjusted Ron's fingers on his wand. And Millicent might have been wrong once, but she still trusted her instincts. Granger wouldn't hurt Pansy – not deliberately. And Granger wouldn't be a coward if it came to love. If anything, people telling her who she couldn't have would make her more determined to have that person.

Turning, so that Pansy couldn't see what she was doing, Millicent scribbled a note to Granger and tossed it into the air. It fluttered down to her desk and for the first time that day, Hermione raised her gaze to Pansy. Of course, Pansy wasn't looking so it was lost on her. It wasn't lost on Millicent – how Granger's gaze caught on Pansy's dark hair, how her eyes narrowed or how colour spiked into her cheeks.

She abandoned the Weasley's wand-swish and tore open the note. When she realised it was from Millicent, her shoulders slumped – just a little, barely perceptible, but enough.

Millicent shoved Pansy along on the bench when Granger stood up.

"Personal space!" Pansy snapped at her. "For the love of Merlin, Millie!"

"Uh…"

Both Pansy and Millicent looked up.

Granger held up the note Millicent had sent. "You said you needed help?"

Pansy curled forward, resting her elbows on the desk and smiling unpleasantly. "If I needed help, you'd be the last person I'd be going to."

"Whereas you're my first choice," Millicent told her, patting the seat beside herself.

"Yes, well you're smart," Granger told her, sliding in to sit on the bench seat. "I'm the top of all my classes. I'm the obvious choice."

"Exactly," said Millicent.

"I'm not…Geez, guys. Don't crush me into the corner like this. Shove." Pansy pushed against Millicent's shoulder with both hands. She was boxed in against the wall, but there was more than enough room on the bench for the three of them. "Shove."

When Millicent and Granger didn't get up fast enough, Pansy crawled over the desk.

"Merlin." She huffed out an annoyed breath and walked around to where Granger was, sinking onto the bench beside her. "There," she said. "I'm very delicate. I need air."