Parade

The view really is phenomenal, you can't take your eyes away for a second. Your eyes play catch, darting from one side of the city to another, there's too much to see and you don't know where to look. You can see the towns near the entrance of the plaza down below, and the giant skyscraper buildings which you'd only read about and seen on tv. They're so tall, but not almost as tall as the plaza. In the distance all there is is forest, like a great big border of wood and vine keeping everything inside. It's almost in comparison to the districts, the metaphor of everything being contained. No one ever allowed to be free.

Loud, Effie style, banging suddenly reoccurs on Peeta's door. You both wait for a few seconds and then he rises to let them in. '(Y/N)!' Effie demands as she gallops into the room like a wild horse. 'yes?' You reply half sarcastically as you slouch back into the window chair. 'Why in the name of snow did you run off like that, we hardly noticed you had disappeared!?'
It's nice that she cares, although it's probably just what she was told to say, like everyone else around here. Nothing is real, everything's fake and read from a script. But at least it bought you some time that she hardly noticed you had gone. She grabs your arm before you can reply and drags you back to your room like a mother pulling along a misbehaved child. It's not embarrassing because you hear Peeta's giggling as you exit out into the hallway, which makes you giggle a little. His little bit of support makes you feel less alone, it's only him that can make you feel so alive.

The carts are beautiful, each and every one a different fluorescent colour with flowers and decorations flooding out of them. You walk along the row of carts, looking for a label marked '12'. Until you spot at the end of the line, the biggest, darkest cart of them all. Your eyes are drawn to its flames erupting from the fountains of orange liquid above each wheel. Black leather straps connect the cart to the most beautiful black horse, with the biggest bright silver eyes. You don't see many horses in the seam, let alone have the chance to touch one. You touch its nose and it doesn't flinch at all, just moves closer and bows its neck over your shoulder. For the first time you feel at peace, being so close to an animal so big and soft, makes you feel so natural and Normal. It makes you feel like home.

An alarm sounds and tributes rush to their carts as if they knew exactly what to do. Peeta climbs up into the cart and is now standing by your side. 'You ready?' You ask, with a slight elbow nudge to grab his attention. 'Yeah I am now' he replies, snapping into focus. You both grab the handle as the horse jolts forward. You now head slowly towards the golden gates, leading to the stadium.