Chapter 3: Dumb, Dumber and Dumbest

Depuis le début

"Who said anything about money?" I narrow my eyes a little.

"Okaaaay. I'll bite. What is it?" I ask, curiosity taking over me.

I could tell he was grinning from ear to ear on the other line. "Something you might want. Do you like books?"

I frown a bit. If there's something that I share with every member of my family, it's the love for reading. How did he know I like to read? "Yeah, why?" I say slowly.

"How would you like the first copy ever of Lonely Pictures complete with the author's signature?"

My jaw automatically dropped. Was he kidding me? Lonely Pictures is the best thriller I have ever read in my life. It was pure genius and brilliance that I hardly ever put the paperback copy of Cole down. But how did Eric have the first copy? I shoved the thought in the back of my mind.

"Well played. I assume it's hard bound and in perfect condition?"I say.

"Yes."

I huffed out and smiled. "Fine."

"Great. 12:30 p.m. at The Old American Diner. Saturday."

"See you there."

"Bye."

We hang up and I toss my phone on the bed. I felt my cheeks heat up, I covered my face with my pillow. Why the hell am I blushing? Aaaarggghh. He just asked me out! Plus the first copy! My insides were flipping.

My bed dipped on the side, I uncovered my face. Cole, Connor and Collin had those 'scary brother' faces on.

"You're going on a date?" Connor asked.

I nod my head yes. "On Saturday."

Cole raised his eyebrows, "Where?"

"Why would you wanna know?" I narrowed my eyes into slits.

He sighed in exasperation and glared at me. "Just answer our damn questions, Katherine."

I pout "The Old American's."

"With who?" Collin asked last.

My temper began to rise a bit. What's with all the twenty questions? "Eric Daniels."

Their eyes widened a bit, surprised. "You're not talking about the author right?" Cole choked.

I admit. I almost laughed at their faces. Eric? The Eric Daniels? An author? Get the hell outta here. And my brothers know me better than that. And Eric doesn't look like a writer. He looked very much.... unwriter-ish. I shake my head. He is not the Eric Daniels.

"No, he's Kate's brother."

Their shoulders slumped in disappointment. I scoffed at them. Cole looked at me incredulously. "You're dating dad's colleague's brother?"

I flashed him a look of irritation, I fired up my laptop. "It isn't even exactly a date." Lie. "We're just going to lunch!" Partly true. No way in hell will it be only to lunch. I uploaded the photos from the wedding (already with permission from Kate, of course) to my website. They went back to their game and left me to myself.

And I can't help but feel excited for Saturday.

~*~

I punched the combination to my safe. Good thing I had the first five copies, I thought to myself with a smile. My bargain with Katherine had been pure luck on my side. I didn't peg her as a book lover by just merely looking at her. It was something about her, and I couldn't even believe she read my book. I thought her type were the harlequin novels or those vampire stories. Or Nicholas Sparks types, maybe even Rick Riordan and John Green. Stories that has love in them. Mine was a full on adventure. Nothing purely girly.