Chapter 13: Hello Goodbye

Amsterdam was very peaceful and beautiful at four a.m. in the morning. The fog was hanging low, dew drops forming on the leaves, and the occasional breeze that passes. I was like a kid that woke up on Christmas: wide eyed, face-splitting grin, and jumping up and down in excitement.

Grabbing the knit sweater from my open suitcase, I ran down the stairs and walked out to the porch. I settle down on the swing hadn't noticed and sighed contentedly. It was absolutely, without a doubt, amazing.

I take a deep breath through the nose. They always said that the early morning air was the freshest air you could get, when the smoke from engines were almost nonexistent.

I was going to have to thank Eric for suggesting that we go here, even though I had only seen the tiniest bit of it, I was happy nonetheless. I glanced at the wrought-iron gates and back to the magnificent mansion and frowned.

It occurred to me that I know very little of his family; his mother and father, his eight siblings, even his favorite aunts or uncles.

"Hey, what're you doing up at four in the morning?" I glance up at Eric with his ruffled bed head, sweats and a fit, black v-neck shirt. He was smiling at me as he took a seat beside me.

"I wanted to see Amsterdam when its still sleeping. Does that sound creepy?"

He leaned back and laughed, throwing an arm over me, pulling me close. His warmth was comforting, plus he smelled like the heaven he is. "No, that doesn't sound creepy at all." he says after awhile. He looks at me for a moment before flashing his brilliant smile, "Do you want to take a ride on the canal?"

I looked at him blankly, deciphering if he was making or not, when I saw that he really meant it, a grin broke out of me. "Are you serious?!"

"As serious as I'll ever be."

I bite my lip, I was finally going on the canal! At four in the freaking morning! "Well, this'll be the only alone time we could actually get from the rest of the trip... Fuck it, it's four in the morning and we're going to the canal!" I shoot up from the swing and dash inside the house.

When I got to my room, I quickly striped to my underwear and changed into some skinny jeans, an off shoulder shirt, and my pair of ankle boots. I slung my DSLR on my neck and dashed back down stairs.

Eric was waiting for me, changed into a pair of jeans, a wife beater and plaid button down shirt that was left open, and a pair of black Vans. His tousled hair was combed and neat.

Both of us grinned at each other as he took my hand. "You ready?" he asked.

I held up my camera and he groaned. "Yep. Now let's go!" I tug on his hand.

~*~

"Are there fishes here?"

"Ooh! The water looks so clean!"

"Can I try rowing?"

"Can we go for a swim in the canal?"

"Do you know where we're going?" Katherine kept asking.

To be honest, this was the most excited I have seen Katherine in the past month I had known her. I keep telling her to sit still as I rowed the boat and not to lean over too much. Her grin never left her face as she kept looking and pointing random things as we thread through the canals of Amsterdam.

It was very gratifying to see her happy. The way her eyes light up when she spots something new, or her cheek's constant flush. Katherine looked like a kid on a Christmas morning.