Chapter 1 - Not The Job He Asked For

If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are? - T.S. Eliot

That same day...

Ridgeway High had opened in 1952 in the centre of the city, to serve the growing amount of child immigrants whose families had fled the war-torn land of Europe, or the poverty stricken slums of Central and South America. The five story block of imposing red brick building itself dated back to the 1820s, when it had originally been built as an asylum, nearly some two-hundred years ago now, but was refurbished in the late 1940s to become the largest - and most in need of a serious grant from the government - school in the city.

Twenty-three year old Jeremy Lewis, the support teacher at Ridgeway High, didn't even look up from his papers when the blond burst through the classroom door just before nine, throwing his bag onto the nearest desk - which happened to be next to Kevin's - and collapsing into his chair.

"Nice of you to join us Mr Hoying," he said, with no hint of anger in his voice. He looked at him with raised eyebrows, "The day you arrive on time will be the day I can quit teaching."

The youngest boy just rolled his eyes with a small smirk, as he hurriedly unpacked his belongings onto the desk.

Kevin chuckled, "You're gonna die a teacher then Mr L!" he joked, before practically leaping from his own seat to grab the younger boy into a choke hold. All in a good-natured way of course.

Scott had already grown used to his fellow student's boisterous behaviour in his nearly three weeks of knowing him, and just ignored the bigger boy until he released his hold. He then leaned back in his chair, with his hand raised in the air, "Sup Kev," he greeted the hyper boy. Kevin was still too busy laughing to notice the mischievous look on Scott's face as he went in for the high five. But Jeremy had.

Oh boy, were his first and only thoughts before the two boys hands connected and Scott used all his strength to bring the other to the floor. Therefore in the tiny classroom, a full on wrestling match was launched right there on the carpet.

"Fight, fight, fight!" Kirstie began chanting. Mitch just shook his head in disgust and rolled his eyes. He really didn't like kids that much, especially when they were as annoying as tweedle-dum and tweedle-dee at the front. Avi was unreadable as always.

"Both of you stop right this instant!" Jeremy shouted as he dashed over, pulling Kevin off the smaller boy. Both were out of breath and little Scott was red in the face, but it was obvious the whole thing was all in play. That's what you get for having two hyperactive boys in the same tiny class.

"Just stay in your own seats boys," he instructed in his most authoritative voice, one that he thought could be quite scary to students, and gave them slight nudges towards their destinations. The two youngsters however merely chucked to themselves, and casually sat back down, completely unfazed.

I've been here for only an hour, and already I can feel my hair turning grey. At least I'd only planned for reading this morning.

"All right, get out your books. Kevin, I'd like you to try and finish it today, you've only got a few chapters left."

The youngster nodded earnestly, "I'll try my best Mr L."

"I know you will," Jeremy replied, while sighing internally, it only took a week before Mr Lewis was exchanged for Mr L. He wasn't a big fan of it but there was no point in arguing with the stubborn kids in front of him, believe him he'd already tried.

Kevin's reading choice was an adventure book meant for older teens but it held no issues for him. There was no actual teaching reason to get the boy to spend two hours reading, as his skills were already nearly that of an adult. Kevin was probably one of the brightest kids at the school, as in he could get results without too much revision, and the only reason he was in the supported learning group was because he would distract the other students trying to learn. Jeremy thought that was kind of dumb. Why put the boy in a room full of kids who were the most likely to be distracted by him?