Chapter Eleven

Kolten's POV

I had gone to work with Jackson so Willow could use my truck. I had worried about her all day. & Then she had told me that her uncle was acting strange. Which had just made me worry more. But, I couldn't help it. When we got home, I saw my truck & Madison's car in the driveway.

"I bet they're in there gossiping about us." Jackson said.

I chuckled. "I don't doubt it. I think they're going to become inseparable if they hang out more."

"I think so also." He turned the car off. "Let's scare them or something."

We got out of the car & quietly shut our doors. I got my house key out of my pocket & unlocked the front door as softly as I could. At first I couldn't hear them. They weren't in the living room or the kitchen. I looked down the hall & saw that my bedroom light was on. We crept closer to the door, & I could hear muffled voices. I was about to open the door, when Jackson grabbed my wrist. I looked back at him. He put a finger to his lips, telling me to stay quiet. He pointed to his ear, then to the door. We listened for a few seconds longer. That's when I heard what sounded like someone crying. & I was pretty sure it wasn't Willow.

Jackson pushed me aside & opened the door. Willow & Madison looked up at us. They both had tears streaming down their faces. Jackson was by Madison's side in less than a second, it seemed. I went to Willow & put my arm around her. Before I could ask her what was wrong, Madison started talking.

"We're fine." She said, looking first at Jackson, then at me. "I was just telling Willow about what happened a month ago."

Jackson's eyebrows furrowed. "Why were you talking about it, baby? I know it bothers you when you do."

She softly smiled. "Not talking about it doesn't mean it didn't happen. It means I've accepted it."

"You're such a strong person." Willow said to Madison. Then she looked at me. "She told me how you tried so hard to help her."

I really did try to help her. I still blamed myself sometimes. If I could have just tracked the number faster, maybe she wouldn't have been taken again. & When I saw her all bloody & bruised in the basement of that abandoned astrology building, I had felt miserable. I didn't realized I had shut my eyes until I felt a soft hand grab onto mine. I opened my eyes & saw that it was Madison's hand. I looked up at her.

"Kolten Gaines, don't you dare blame yourself for what happened to me. That was the fault of a very sick, psychotic man. I know that you did what you could. That's all I could have asked from you. Actually, it was more. You weren't obligated to help me. But, you did." She squeezed my hand. "Don't ever let me catch you blaming yourself again."

I knew that I shouldn't have been blaming myself in the first place. & Hearing Madison say that to me made me feel so much better. Like that weight was finally off my shoulders. I would probably always feel somewhat bad about it, but I didn't need to feel responsible for it anymore. I smiled at her, & her face lit up. She leaned over & gave me a quick hug.

"Madison tells me you're really good with electronics. How come you didn't tell me?" Willow asked.

"I'm not that great."

"Oh, please!" Jackson said. "You've been tinkering with computers, phones, & other things as long as I can remember. You always managed to fix everything that went wrong with our stuff."

I chuckled. "Why are you guys ganging up on me?"

They all laughed. It felt nice to have all of them around to joke with & talk to. The doorbell rang then, & we all jumped. I hadn't invited anyone over, so I wasn't sure who it would be at this time. I left the bedroom, & walked down the hall. As I got closer to the front door, I saw the headlights of a car as it backed out of our driveway. I opened the door, but nobody was out there. I shrugged. Maybe they had the wrong house. I started to close the door, but then I noticed an envelope laying on the porch. I picked it up, & it had Willow's name on it. It also felt thick just like the first one did.

"Hey, Willow, you might want to come here!" I yelled.

She came rushing out of the bedroom. "What's wrong? Who is it?"

"This was left on the porch for you. I didn't see who left it." I said, handing her the envelope.

"Is this what I think it is?"

I nodded. "I think so."

As she opened the envelope, Madison & Jackson came out of the bedroom. "I think there's probably the same amount in here as the last one."

Jackson's eyes widened. "You're getting random envelopes of money?"

Willow looked at him. "Yes. I don't know who's leaving them. Nobody I know would do this."

"Let me see it." Madison said.

Willow handed it to her, & she looked at it for a minute or two before saying anything. "Well, it's definitely a male's handwriting. & They must know something about you if they knew that they could leave this here at Kolten's house."

"I hadn't thought to look at the handwriting." Willow said. I didn't think of that either. "The only people I really know well is Skye & my uncle. This is so weird."

"We'll find out who it is." I said.

"I know." she said.

***

The next morning before I could go to work with Jackson, Willow woke up with me. She always looked so beautiful first thing in the morning. Not that she didn't look beautiful any other time. Just, when she first wakes up, she isn't feeling stressed, & she isn't worrying about anything. Her hair is usually all tangled, & in her face. I can't help but sit & stare at her. She'd probably think I was a freak or something if she knew I did that.

"So, are you taking Skye with you to your uncle's house today?"

She laughed. "I am. She's going to have the best time."

"I bet she is." I heard someone honk their car horn, & I knew that Jackson was here. "I have to go. But, I'll text you in a little while."

"Alright. Have a good day." She leaned up on her toes & kissed me softly on the lips. She started to pull away, but I grabbed her & kissed her a little harder.

"You too." I said, as I smirked at her.