The End of All Things

Legolas felt as if he had faded to but a shadow in the air, passing unnoticed on the back of a gleaming white horse. He almost couldn't feel his body, so cold and hot he was at the same time.

Shadowfax had carried him to the Forest River's edge. Now they walked slowly up it, looking and listening for any signs of the woodland elves.

Legolas almost despaired as the time went by. Where had his people gone? The forest was so deathly silent, except for the moans of the trees, and the creaking of the trunks under the weight of darkness. Far off, he thought he heard a warg howl, but he knew he had outraced much of the darkness following him.

He slipped off Shadowfax. He could not let this animal stay behind with him, and risk certain death at the hands of the enemy who was most definitely attacking his people. He rubbed the horse's snout gently, relaxing at the smell of horse musk and dirt, one that had always calmed him after a long day in the forest fighting darkness. "Go, my lord Shadowfax. Flee not to the plains, but the hills. Survive as long as you can, and find other lords of the animals to take with you. Perhaps, the Valar will have mercy on your noble hearts, and watch over you long until this darkness is driven out once again, as I hope that day will come." He murmured.

Shadowfax, seeing that his task was fulfilled, and the prince no longer need him, snorted his agreement, reared and galloped back the way they had came, to find a safe place to cross the river and continue the journey.

Legolas watched him go, then silently continued on, limping and gasping every time he tripped on a root. Finally, he found a tree willing enough to bend its branches lower so that he could climb up with no difficulty. Then he continued on faster, the trees willingly sharing some of their remaining energy with the prince of the woods, fueling him with passion and desire to see his father once more.

---

Legolas looked up with a start. That had been a bird call. He knew the sound, the peculiar trill that followed the call, the sound of a warrior echoing warning or greeting to another. Joy filled his heart. Some of his people still endured! His tongue was dry, so he feverishly tried to wet it, and responded with a hoarse croak of his own. He sighed with relief as he relaxed against a branch. At least that would not go unnoticed by the well-trained ears of his men.

He heard a faint rustle, and the soft footsteps of a being behind him. Then a gasp. "My lord!" Now the whistle was louder, more urgent. "Hurry! It's the prince!" More whistles and shouts behind him, and he smiled, too weak to turn his head to see the sight of a hundred warriors emerging from various places in the trees. He knew they were there, and that was all that mattered. Two strong arms lifted him up gently, and two other took his legs. He opened his eyes to see many worried faces of his kin around him, all clamoring to see the warrior prince they had not seen in over a year.

One of the warriors knelt beside him, his green eyes staring into Legolas'. "My prince, how shocked we are to find you here." Legolas realized this was Galion. He frowned. What was Galion doing outside the palace, not protecting the king? Well, that didn't matter. He must tell them what happened.

"Yes, Galion. I came on the back of one of the Mearas, as soon as the Dark Lord prevailed and swept the army at the Black Gate away." He hated seeing the pain he struck in some of the younger warriors' eyes. They had been still hoping, despite all the hardship they had probably gone through the last months, that all had not been lost, and things would get better again.

Galion bowed his head. "Your father knew that was the case. He was looking East when he saw the massive black clouds gather and form. He immediately-"

"My father." Legolas interrupted. He wanted to hear what Galion had to say, but he was too afraid for his father. "Is he alive? Tell me, Galion!"

Galion stared at his lord. "Yes, Legolas. Your father is alive and well. We would not be alive, if it wasn't for him." Galion touched a nasty gash on his arm and winced. "We were attacked almost immediately, but the few hours we had, your father used to save hundreds of lives. But he knows what has happened. He knows that he is already prolonging a death that is going to prevail."