Chapter 11 - Silence

I woke up with a start and gasped for air, I could feel the cold cobbles on the ground pressing painfully into my body and my armour was soaked with blood. I was covered in sweat but still shivering from the cold. The pungent smell of fire and burning wood filled my nostrils. I could hear war cries and steel clashing against steel, we were still in Whiterun. And I was dying. I didn't know how much time had passed since I blacked out, and I didn't know how much longer I had left before I joined my mother in death but I wasn't prepared to give up. I had people I cared about and places I still hadn't been to yet and I was sure as hell not going to let Ulfric win this war without me. I screamed out in pain as I pulled myself up onto shaky feet. The streets were empty and ghost like but I could still hear the sounds of battle. The war had moved into the upper part of the city.

I stumbled out of Whiterun, my senses failing me. And then I saw hope.

Through my teary eyes i saw a carriage driver pulling into the stables with supplies for the stormcloak soldiers, I stumbled over as fast as my weak legs would take me, my vision was blurring and the ringing in my ears was getting louder. I used all of my remaining strength to pull a large coin purse out of my pocket – it was all the money I had in the world. I looked at him in desperation. He was old with white hair and wrinkles making up the most of his face, he looked more scared than concerned but I was too far gone to care. Salty tears were streaming down my face and both arrows were still nestled deep inside my torso and shoulder.

"Please...Riften" I mumbled to him. The ringing in my ears was now so loud that I couldn't hear the sound of my own voice. Finally I gave up and collapsed onto the cold ground.