The Journey from Platform Nine and Three Quarters

Start from the beginning

'Don't, Ginny, we'll send you loads of owls.'

'We'll send you a Hogwarts toilet seat.'

'George!'

'Only joking, Mum.'

The train began to move. Harry saw the boys' mother waving and their sister, half laughing, half crying, running to keep up with the train until it gathered too much speed: then she fell back and waved.

Harry watched the girl and her mother disappear as the train rounded the corner. Houses flashed past the window. Harry felt a great leap of excitement. He didn't know what he was going to- but it had to be better than what he was leaving behind.

The door of the compartment slid open and the youngest red-headed boy came in.

'Anyone sitting there?' he asked, pointing at the seat opposite Harry. 'Everywhere else is full.'

'Er... do you mind?' Harry asked the boy in the corner. He said nothing but gave the slightest shake of his head.

'Go ahead,' he said and the boy sat down. He glanced at Harry and then looked quickly out of the window, pretending he hadn't looked. Harry saw he had a black mark on his nose.

'Hey, Ron.'

The twins were back.

'Listen, we're going down the middle of the train- Lee Jordan's got a giant tarantula down there.'

'Right,' mumbled Ron.

'Harry,' said the other twin. 'Did we introduce ourselves? Fred and George Weasley. And this is Ron, our brother. See you later, then.'

'Bye,' said Harry and Ron. The twins slid the compartment shut behind them.

'Are you really Harry Potter?' Ron blurted out.

Harry nodded.

'Oh- well, I thought it might have been one of Fred and George's jokes,' said Ron. 'And have you really got- you know...'

He pointed at Harry's forehead.

Harry pulled back his fringe to show the lightning scar. Ron stared and even the boy in the corner peeked over his book for a second.

'So that's where You-Know-Who-'

'Yes,' said Harry, 'but I can't remember it.'

'Nothing?' said Ron eagerly.

'Well- I remember a lot of green light, but nothing else.'

'Wow,' said Ron. He sat and stared at Harry for a few moments, then, as if he suddenly realised what he was doing, looked quickly out of the window again. They looked around as the compartment door slid open and a blonde boy dragging his trunk came in, shutting the door firmly behind him.

'Sorry, I hope you don't mind. They were throwing things at me,' he panted.

'Not at all, take a seat,' Harry said kindly. He smiled in relief and ragged his trunk to the overhead luggage rack. Grunting, he lifted it up and shoved it into place.

'My name's John Watson by the way,' he said.

'Harry Potter.'

'Ron Weasley.'

'Nice to meet you.'

He gave the trunk one last shove.

'Ouch!' a voice cried. John jumped back as his trunk flew off the rack, narrowly missing his feet. Another boy appeared, upside down, an angry scowl on his face.