Prologue | A Not-So-Happy Birthday

"Don't be an idiot, Morgan. Let me drive you to the mall. It will take ten minutes, tops."

"What will take ten minutes? The drive or the time I spend at the mall? We both know that either way, that's not how it's going to play out."

Nathan Sharp stared at his girlfriend, a giant smile on his face, trying to convince her to let him drive her around. The musician barely drove anywhere himself. No, he always made Morgan drive him around so he could focus on writing music. She could've cared less. She liked driving, it was relaxing.

But today, he wasn't going to put up with her driving. It was her eighteenth birthday today.

He had barely remembered his own eighteenth birthday. He had had far too much to drink and he had spent for too much time with his idiot friends. Morgan, however, wasn't like that. She never drank and when she hung out with her friends, she had a calming vibe.

She wasn't going to spend her eighteenth birthday drunk and barely remembering anything. The raven haired girl was going to drive to the store, buy a cake and a movie, and spend the rest of the day with her boyfriend.

"I am perfectly capable of driving myself, Nate. Besides, we both know that I'm a better driver than you'll ever be."

She winked at him, leaning forward and kissing her boyfriend's lips softly, before he could speak out in protest. She hit his head softly, causing his glasses to slide off his down his nose. Annoyed, he pushed up his glasses, glaring at Morgan.

"Don't you touch my hair."

Morgan smirked, running her fingers through his hair. She grabbed the car keys out of his hand, and twirled them around her index finger.

"Fine. Fine. Fine. I won't drive you... But if you're not back here in fifteen minutes, I'm calling Brett and he's going to spend the day with us."

Morgan let out a huff of air, before opening the front door, shaking her head weakly. Brett was one of Nate's friends and while she loved him, he could get... annoying at times.

"As the birthday girl, I say you're not allowed to invite Brett over no matter what."

"Oh fuck that shit. You have ten minutes now."

She laughed weakly, tucking her short hair behind her ear before darting out the front door, sticking her tongue out at her boyfriend. Nathan rolled his eyes at her, then walked over towards their living room, sitting down on the couch.

Five minutes passed.

Then ten.

Soon, ten minutes turned into thirty, which turned into an hour.

Still no sign of Morgan.

For the first thirty minutes, Nate had no reason to worry. It was fine. They lived in Los Angeles. Of course there would be traffic. A ten minute drive would easily take twenty. If anything, Morgan was probably stuck in a traffic jam.

Then it had become an hour.

Paranoia was a strange thing. You would think after living in Los Angeles for several years, Nate would be accustomed to things taking forever, but either way. A heads up that I'll be late would've been nice.

He reached for his phone, and called Morgan. After all, if she was driving, the chances of her answering a phone call, were much higher than her answering a text message.