"I apologise." Peter mumbles automatically. "Please continue."

"We were thinking that Lord and Lady Schultz may take pity on you, considering they know how it feels to have family away at war. Well? What do you think?" She says hopefully.

"I think that's very good!" Peter says happily for the first time they'd seen him.

"We think you'll actually have a chance with this defense." Edmund agrees.

Peter turns into the the neighborhood of Professor Digory Kirke's residence.

"Say something!" Lucy demands.

"I'm not sure what to say." Peter says. "But thank you all for trying to help me."

"Of course," Susan says. "We know you would do the same for any one of us."

Peter pulls into the driveway and shuts the engine off. He gets out of the car, and helps Lucy and Susan out the car, before assisting Edmund with the luggage.

"Remember the rule?" Peter asks.

"Yes," Lucy says. "No talk of Narnia in front of Mother."

Peter nods.

"Susan, Edmund, Lucy!" Mrs. Pevensie calls. "I'm glad to see you got here safely. Honestly, Peter drives so recklessly." Peter drops his head, and studies the ground, saying nothing.

"His driving is fine, Mum." Susan says.

Mrs. Pevensie ignores the remark and ushers the children inside the immaculately clean house. 

"Dinner's almost ready. Peter, go ahead and pull the roast out from the oven. But first bring your siblings' suitcases upstairs to their rooms.

"Yes, ma'am." Peter agrees immediately.

Edmund, knowing of the tension between Peter and their mother, says, "I've got it, Mum. Peter's already brought us home. I think that is quite enough."

"Edmund-" Peter begins to warn him.

"Silence, Peter." Their mother hisses at her oldest. "Edmund, your brother can do it. Go sit down for dinner. Now."

Edmund knows not to make her ask a second time. He and his sisters begin to set the table.

"Peter can do that too. Sit. You must be exhausted from a long day of school. I wish I could say the same for your brother."

Just as she says this, Peter walks down the stairs and reaches for the last suitcase. All three of his siblings see the shame on his face.

"Peter," Mrs. Pevensie snaps. "Hurry up. Can't you see your brothers and sisters are hungry? Yet, you still take your time." The other three hear his footsteps quicken and he soon returns and enters the kitchen. His mother follows, as does a large crash. A slap rings out clearly in the silence. Susan, Edmund, and Lucy run to where the noise came from.

Peter stands, a large handprint on his face, and the roast at his feet. "I apologise." He says to his mother, not meeting her gaze.

"Don't apologise, Peter!" Edmund raises his voice, now directing his attention to his mother, "Can't you see he already feels terrible for what he's done. It was my fault anyhow, so blame me! Treat me like the hired help! He's your son, now get over this like the rest of us have! It seems that he's the only one keeping this family together now Dad's away!"

Edmund runs up to his room, and Peter follows.

"Edmund-" Peter begins softly, staring at his hands.