Chapter Nineteen

Chapter Nineteen

“So that's what the letter said.” Cedric said. He seemed to be taking this calmly, extending a hand to help Charissa out of the water. She quickly grabbed her robes and wrapped up her arms. As important as it was to hide the Mark from everyone else, it seemed more important to hide it from herself.

“I'm not a Death Eater.” Charissa said.

“I know.” Cedric replied. “Dumbledore told me.”

“Dumbledore knows?” Charissa said, a bit of panic in her voice.

“It's alright.” Cedric answered. “Dumbledore told me how you got it as well.”

“He did?” Charissa said. “My mum, she tried to explain. That was what was in the letter. Didn't believe it until the Yule Ball, though.”

“Is there any way to get rid of it?” Cedric asked. Charissa shook her head. “Not that I know of.”

“So the question now is, what are you going to do about it?” Cedric said.

“Same thing as I have been.” Charissa replied. “Long sleeves all the time. No one can know.”

Cedric nodded. “Sounds like a good plan, except that it's almost summer.”

“I can manage.” Charissa said. “I have to.”

“Rissy, I'm sure it would be fine in the summer. No one's going to accuse a twelve year old of being a Death Eater.” Cedric said.

“They will if you're a Malfoy.” Charissa muttered. It was true, that while the Malfoy name commanded respect, it was also extremely feared.

“Everyone loves you, Charissa, no one will think you've become a Death Eater.” Cedric said.

“Sirius Black was loved by everyone and he became a Death Eater.” Charissa argued stubbornly.

“But you're not Sirius Black.” Cedric said as they entered the castle. “You're Charissa.”

“Thanks, Ced.” Charissa replied. “I'm sorry, I should've told you.”

“There's nothing to be sorry for.” Cedric said. “It's a complicated situation, isn't it?”

Charissa nodded. “Yes, it is.”