Chapter 4

(A/N I'm gonna start giving my chapters names :) )

Swings and Roundabouts

"Alright, now for the homework," the whole class groans and (Y/N) rolls her eyes. What do they expect from this teacher? He gives them homework every chance he gets,
"You are to choose a partner and come up with an idea and create a poster of an idea for the upcoming festival." Everyone starts chattering excitedly with their closest friends and (Y/N) immediately turns to Kenma, they're in most of their classes together and sit together in all of them.
"Kenma-kun," (Y/N) says, drawing the boy's attention to her,
"Do you wanna be my partner?" She asks adding the same close eyed smile that makes Kenma's heart into a gymnast.  He, however, had not been paying attention to what the teacher was saying, too busy thinking about the new Pokemon game (please forgive me). So he just nods politely, he doesn't mind being (Y/N) partner. In fact, he likes it more than he cares to admit.
"Cool, do you wanna..." (Y/N) pauses, tapping a finger in her chin, "Do you wanna come to my apartment after school?"
Is she serious? Did she actually just invite him to her house? They are two teenagers, of opposite genders. Did she really trust him that much? Normally, it wouldn't be a big deal but she said it like they would be home alone. Did she really live by herself? (Y/N) noticed Kenma's widened eyes; realised that she might've been a bit forward and immediately tried to back track,
"You don't have to if you don't wanna, we can find another place to do it!" Her voice was gradually raising in pitch, "there's a park not that far from my place, how about we go there?"
Kenma nodded, close to laughing at (Y/N) sudden blush and frantic attempt at reconciliation, she looked so cute. He caught himself with this thought and suddenly realised why his heart had seemingly been acting up. He was in love. Ok, maybe that was dramatic, but he definitely had a serious crush on this bright, happy girl sat in front of him.

******

"So, did you have any ideas?" (Y/N) asked Kenma as she stretched back into the grass, looking up at the pale blue sky. The golden eyed boy is sat crosslegged next to her, watching each slight move she makes. The rise and fall of her chest; her fingers flitting to her face to adjust her hair; her alert (e/c) eyes focusing on the squirrel that shot up a nearby tree. He wants to tell her right then how he feels but, obviously, his courage is somewhat lacking, he wouldn't even know how to start. He eventually sighs and replies to her question with a simple,
"Not really, I thought we could do something with water since it'll probably be hot?" Her reaction is to shoot up into a sitting position,
"That's a great idea, maybe we could do a dunk tank but I don't know where we'd get that from..." (Y/N) continues on for a while, animatedly talking about a range of crazy and more plausible ideas. Unlike when Kuroo rants about stuff, Kenma listens intently to every word the girl says, making sure to take it all in.

******
(A/N listen to Youth by Troye Sivan while reading this if you can)

Several hours later and the last people leave the swings in the park, (Y/N) immediately jumps up, rushing over to them, beaming all the while. Kenma follows after her taking a seat beside the girl. And they just sit, as the sun sets, randomly talking (mainly about video games) in between periods of comfortable silence. (Y/N) takes a deep breath as she swings lightly, feet dragging on the ground. This is how it feels, she thinks, to be happy. To be happy and with someone you care about. Because she realises it now, they both do. That they care about one another, and the care looks like it will progress into something deeper. But even if it doesn't, even if it doesn't grow deeper, even if it is short lived, even if remains unrequited, it's beautiful right now and exactly how it should be.
"Ko-kun, will you push me on the roundabout?" the young boy is shocked at the sudden use of the nickname but he definitely doesn't mind it, the opposite of that, in fact. Kenma nods, getting up to fulfil (Y/N) request. (Y/N) laughs as she spins, enjoying the quick glimpses of the small smile that adorns the setter's face.

A/N ok this was a bit more romantic and smushy than I'm used to writing but hopefully you enjoyed