~

The Capital was abuzz. 

Eight year old Song looked around at the crowd in amazement. He had never seen so many people in one place in his life. Sure - Song and his family lived in Chai, one of the busier towns of World, but this city surpassed anything he had ever experienced.

“Hurry along, Song,” his mother said with some annoyance as she tried to push her way through the throng. “These people - I can’t believe the indignity of it. Imagine - not to have a carriage waiting for us? The nerve,” she continued to mutter to herself. 

Song listened distractedly. The lights and sounds were more interesting to him that her complaints. His father agreed that it didn’t sit well with their status that no arrangements had been made for their transportation to the Palace, but what did Song care? The myriad bling bling that flashed in front of him was currently more than enough to make up for that supposed slight. 

“We’ll be there soon, dear,” his father said patiently. “I’m sure it must have slipped the King’s mind.”

“And not a single carriage for hire!” Melody continued to gripe.

“All the nobles are coming for the Confirmation,” Rhythm countered. “Let’s make the best of things, Melody. I’m sure the King will set things to right when he confirms our son as the Song of the World.”

Melody allowed a proud smile to spread across her face. Song - her pride and joy - was to be Confirmed in a week’s time as a hopeful for the throne. The prophets had pronounced at his birth that the spirit of the Song Meister had been birthed again in him. She was mother to the King! Song squirmed away from her grasp.

“Ow, Mom, stop pinching me so hard. You’ll leave bruises on my arm,” he said.

“I’m sorry, dear. I didn’t realise. But you really can’t dawdle like that, Song. We’ll be late if we don’t hurry,” she said, pulling at his arm again.

“I’m sure they won’t shut the gates on us,” he grumbled as he let the bauble he had picked up slip through his fingers and back on to the vendor’s tray. He flashed an apologetic smile as he hurried on after his parents. He cast wistful glances at the boys playing some kind of ball game at the edge of the city, giving them a tentative wave as they stopped to stare at the trio flouncing all the way to the Palace.  

By the time they reached the broad avenue that lead to the Palace, the crowd had thinned. Here, only the members of the Upper Echelon, nobles, and their servants could be seen about. Rhythm nodded to several of his acquaintances - other Lords he had met as part of the Council - whilst liveried servants bobbed automatically as they passed. Soon, they were on the sweeping path to the courtyard.

The guards saluted as they entered the courtyard and Melody seemed to puff up even further with pride, drawing herself up straighter. Song privately thought she would burst. He kept his chuckle to himself. 

A frazzled old man approached them, wringing his hands. “Lord Rhythm! Lady Melody! Your Grace Song! Did you arrive on foot? I’m so sorry, I apologise profusely, the fault is all mine, your excellencies -”

“It’s alright, Gust,” Rhythm interrupted him. 

“But it’s not, your Excellency! We had the carriage and the horses waiting for you at the station an hour ago - they came back empty saying that you had not arrived! I do not understand this at all,” he continued. “It is a terrible state of affairs. I will reprimand them severely -”