Chapter 8

-Arianna-

It's been a few days since the incident in my bedroom, but the air still hasn't cleared between Spike and I. He's been distant and he never seems to fully trust that I'm telling him the truth. Willow has stopped by a couple of times to do some cleansing rituals around the apartment, and I've been to the grocery store once but for the most part I haven't left the building and I'm beginning to go a little crazy.

"William, we should do something tonight." I call from the living room.

Spike pokes his head out of his bedroom door. "What did you have in mind?"

"I don't know, I'm just going insane staying inside all the time."

He gives me a weird look. "Do you remember what happened the last time we went out?"

I frown. "Why do you always go back to that?"

"What are you talking about?"

"Why do you always have to remind me about what happened last week?" I'm mad now. "I don't know what's going on with me either but I've been pretty okay and I want to just forget about it."

"Arianna, we can't act like nothing is going on, this is a big problem and-"

"What?" I interrupt him, furious now. "Why can't we act like nothing is going on? Just for one night? I'm only asking for maybe five hours of normalcy, but you're, what, afraid of me or something?"

"I'm not afraid of you, Love."

I glare at him. "Are you sure? Because in the past five days you've barely spoken to me. You avoid me at all costs. I'm not really feeling the love, Love."

He frowns. "So you know everything now? You know my feelings?" He crosses his arms over his chest. I've struck a nerve. "So you know that I can't sleep because of you? You know that I'm so terrified of losing you again that the idea of being around you pains me because it might not even be you in there?" I'm silent. "Arianna, you know nothing of my feelings and what I am trying to do for you, so before you start accusing me of anything, remember: I'm the reason you're standing before me right now."

I storm into my room and place my hand on the door, glaring at him. "And look where that got me." I snap, slamming the door and locking it.

I flop onto the bed, shoving my face into the pillow. I'm such an asshole. I can't help it, these walls are coming in on me. I feel like I'm suffocating.

I groan into the pillow, and get up, walking over to my closet. After some thought, I decide on a black long sleeve t-shirt, a red plaid skirt, black tights, and combat boots. I dress quickly, and grab my purse, walking out of my bedroom. 

Spike is sitting on the couch with his face in his hands, but when he hears the door open he sits up fast. Before he can get a word out, I'm at the door. "I'm going out by myself, since you don't want to come with me." I close the door behind me and hurry down the stairs before he decides to follow me.

-

"You look lonely." I look up at the voice, and Willow is standing in front of me, holding a beer and some pretzels. I shrug, and she sits down. "What's going on?" She asks.

I sigh and take a sip of my soda. "I wanted to come out tonight but William didn't."

"And you fought."

I nod. "He's barely spoken to me since the day I fainted. He avoids me." She doesn't say anything. "When we argued, he said that I didn't understand how he felt, but I do. Everything he's feeling, I'm feeling double. I'm the one all this is happening to, for God's sake."

"True, but it's happening to him too, in a way." Willow says. "He cares for you, Arianna. And when something is happening to the one you care about, it's hard on you."

"I know that."

"Then you should be a little easier on him."

I sigh, and look around the club. All the people around me have normal lives, normal problems. I've never been normal, not to say the least, and I find myself wondering how it feels. 

"Maybe you're right." I say.

"I know I'm right." She says, and I laugh.

"Thanks for the pep talk, Willow. I think I'm going to head home, though."

"Go on, go talk to him."

"I will."

I give Willow a quick goodbye hug and pay my tab at the bar before leaving. I head out the door and down the dark street, my boots making hard thump sounds with every step I take. I turn down a couple of streets, and stop at a convenience store to get a drink before heading in the direction of home.

All of a sudden, something hard slams me against a wall and there's a gun to my head. My eyes go wide as I stare at the man holding me against the brick.

"Give me your wallet!" He screams.

"What?" I ask, oddly calm. "I didn't hear you."

"I said, give me your fucking wallet, bitch!"

I smirk, and my hand reaches up and grips his neck. He drops the gun on the pavement as my hand squeezes his trachea as I lift him two inches off the ground. Where this strength is coming from, I have no idea, but I'm too pissed off to think about it. His face begins to turn blue, and he's clawing at my hands, trying to pull them off.

"Don't call me that, you piece of shit." I snarl, tightening my grip, crushing his neck. "I am much older, and much stronger than you will ever be, and you think you can belittle me in such a way? Respect your fucking elders."

He stops struggling, his eyes bulging out of their sockets just a little. I drop him back on the ground and walk away, spitting on the body in disgust.