Bliss

Bliss is such a strong emotion that it can rarely be maintained for any length of time. Happiness and contentment have sustainability, but true, unbridled bliss never seems to last. Things had been going almost too well within the team and around the Avengers compound that you dared to think that the trials and tribulations of the last few years had been the worst. When you woke up this morning, you never thought that it would bring the day that would erase those events from everyone's memory in the best way.

"Nat," you whispered across the conference room table, trying to not interrupt Steve's post-mission debriefing, but she wasn't hearing you. "Romanoff?"

She still didn't make any sign of recognition and her focus stayed on what he was saying; honestly, she had never been more focused on a meeting and it had to be the one time you wanted her not to. Leaning back into your chair with a huff, you swiveled slightly, kicking your foot against the table until you decided to take drastic measures. Picking up your pen, your flipped it though your fingers mindlessly for a moment before taking aim and sending it flying towards the back of her head.

"What the hell, (Y/N)?"

"Sorry," you shrugged, "it slipped."

"Mmm hmm."

"Nat," you whispered harshly again, "I need to talk to you."

"We're in a meeting."

"I'm aware of that, thank you. Listen, it's really important that I-"

"Problem down there, ladies?" Steve interrupted, setting his tablet on the table with a heavy thud. "Something you might care to share with everyone?"

"Oooh, you're busted," Sam laughed, but silencing quickly under the Captain's serious glare.

"No, Steve, nothing to share. I just need to take Natasha for a moment, if that's okay?"

Clint quickly raised his hand with an eager wave until he caught Steve's eye, "If they get to leave, I think we all should be able to."

"Yeah, I'm falling asleep."

"I'm hungry."

"Really, Cap, you're droning again."

"You realize that we were there right? Why do we always have to go over it again when we get home?"

Steve crossed his arms at the sudden mutiny as everyone ganged up on him with their own reasons to abandon the debriefing. He looked at you with defeat for inciting the situation, but he couldn't help but break into a smirk that grew into a full smile as he realized that he didn't want to be there either. "Fine, we're done."

"Yes!" Clint cheered, slamming his palms down on the table excitedly, "pizza time, baby! I'll save a piece for you, (Y/N), as a reward for getting us outta this."

"Ugh, no thanks," you grimaced, "that sounds terrible. You go ahead."

The rest of the team slowly made their way out of the room, with Steve stopping to talk to you about plans for your evening with a quick kiss before leaving you alone with Natasha. She was looking at you suspiciously, a gleam in her eye at the idea that you were up to something and she needed to figure it out. "Spill it."

"Okay," you replied quietly, turning to look behind you to be sure that everyone was gone, "tell me that you see what I see." You pulled out a small white stick from your jacket pocket and handed it to her, pulling away quickly and sitting on your hands and rapidly bouncing your feet out of anxiety as she studied it. "Right?"

"Are you serious?" she beamed, bringing a hand up to cover her mouth. "(Y/N), for real?"

"I took five tests, so I think it's pretty real."