01 | Pizza [REWRITTEN]

The noise coming from the living room and kitchen helped me figure out where my parents were on this Sunday night as I crept down the stairs. I knew mom wouldn't approve of my late night trip to the kitchen after eating dinner not too long ago. However, the rumbling and growling in my stomach wouldn't stop and my hidden snacks in my bedroom ran out a few days ago. I carefully stepped down a few stairs before I peeked around the wall, checking to see where my parents were downstairs.

I spotted Dad in the living room first, fidgeting with the television. In the kitchen, Mom was in the middle of putting the leftovers from dinner away in Tupperware containers. As soon as her back faced me, I snuck into the kitchen and hastily ducked behind the island in the center of the kitchen, easily hidden from her sight. I pushed up from my crouched position hesitantly to peer over the top of the counter and jumped to my feet the second Mom turned around for the second time.

My fingers wrapped around the handle of the wooden cabinet and quietly yanked it open to grab the container of chocolate cookies, working as stealthy as I could within the short window of time I had.

"Reagan Marie, what do you think are doing?"

My entire body stiffened at Mom's strict voice. I clutched the cookies to my chest as I spun around to face her, sheepishly smiling. "I'm hungry, Mom."

She waved her slender hand at the container leftovers in front of her. "We just ate dinner."

I opened the container and pulled a cookie out, biting into it. "I know, but I'm still hungry."

The distance between us rapidly closed as Mom rounded the island to snatch the container out of my hands. "Why don't you go do something useful and go tell your brother it's time for everybody to leave?" She asked, raising her brows at me in suggestion. She set the container down on the counter.

"Fine," I grumbled. I began to walk out of the kitchen before I dove for the container, managing to grab three more cookies until my hand was slapped away. "Okay, damn."

"Language!" Dad pointed at me with a warning finger as I passed by him.

I rolled my forest green eyes at his comment on my way down the wooden stairs to the basement, where my younger brother Mike and his three best friends resided in, playing their usual weekly game of Dungeons and Dragons. Unlike my twin sister, I loved Mike's friends as if they were my honorary little brothers.

"Fireball!" Will Byers shouted from his seat at the table. He wildly shook his hands and released the dice, accidentally making them roll off of the table in different directions.

None of them noticed my appearance on the stairs by the time I reached the final step. I smiled at the four of them, amused. They've spent about ten hours in the basement today to play their game. I never understood how they could play the same game for so long, but they always managed to do it every week.

"Oh, shit!"

"Where'd it go?"

The four of them scrambled out of their chairs and on their feet, desperately searching for the missing dice. Dustin Henderson paced back and forth in front the table with his hands in his curly, light brown hair. There wasn't a day that went by where I haven't told him how much I loved his curls.

A small chuckle slipped from my lips at their panicked states.

Will's head snapped up at the noise and noticed me for the first time on the stairs with cookies held in one hand. He smiled at me before he returned back to his panic mode. "I don't know!"

Out of all of Mike's friends, Will was the one to have a special place in my heart. Our friendship had grown stronger over the years of him being friends with Mike. There was always the fact that his older brother was a friend of mine.