If Brackenfur was Deputy - Part 2

Brambleclaw should not have been as surprised as he was when Brackenfur was announced deputy. He should have seen it coming, Brackenfur was a strong, loyal, warrior, and met the qualifications. Brambleclaw had never had an apprentice, and therefore, unqualified to be deputy. 

However, he was surprised, and perhaps, a bit too hopeful when Leafpool announced that she had a vision about Brambleclaw being the right choice as deputy. Was that dangerous? He was getting too ambitious, too much, like Tigerstar. Brambleclaw shivered at the thought, had the nightly trips to train with his father and Hawkfrost made him evil? 

No, of course not, he was just doing battle training, training to be a better warrior, he would never be like Tigerstar. Still, he was disappointed when Brackenfur was announced deputy, and Firestar continued to back it, even when half of the clan was on the rocks after hearing Leafpool's declaration of StarClan's support in Brambleclaw. 

He went over to Squirrelflight and saw her hissing in exasperation and pacing back and forth, "You know that I'm not qualified to be deputy." 

"Because of a stupid rule in the warrior code. You are ten times more qualified than Brackenfur is. Brackenfur never journeyed to the sun-drown place, Brackenfur didn't save all four clans, Brackenfur didn't hear Tallstar proclaim Onestar as the leader of WindClan. Having an apprentice, can't compare to all of that, and you had the support of StarClan, you deserve to be deputy," Squirrelflight said angrily. 

"The warrior code is there for a reason, and you shouldn't disrespect it," Brambleclaw said to his mate, starting to feel like a mentor chastising a wayward apprentice, "And you shouldn't disrespect Brackenfur. He's a loyal and strong warrior, and deserves the position. Now, we should get some sleep. Come on." 

He padded into the warrior's den, and felt Squirrelflight padding up behind him, feeling her burning gaze of anger against his back. He settled into the nest he shared with her, and gently licked her cheek before saying, "It's okay. I'm not that upset, and you shouldn't be." He wasn't lying about the upset part, but he was feeling disappointed, and also slightly angry at himself for how much he wanted it. 

Brambleclaw woke up in the shadowy forest, just as he had for every night of the past few seasons, he looked to see Tigerstar glaring at him fiercely. 

"How could you? You had the support of half the clan, if you had driven the argument, Firestar would have chosen you as deputy, instead of that golden furball," Tigerstar hissed. 

"Firestar was only even considering me because of Leafpool's vision, I've never even had an apprentice," Brambleclaw said back. 

"Vision," Tigerstar snorted in disdain, "I was disappointed at first in your choice of a mate, but clearly, you now have influence in the medicine cat. Alas, even she wasn't enough."

Brambleclaw's nose flared angrily and snarled, "Leafpool is not a liar, she wasn't making up anything!" 

"Making up what?" Hawkfrost asked, padding into the clearing. 

"Your brother was in the perfect position for Firestar to revoke his decision to promote Brackenfur as deputy and change it to Brambleclaw. But your brother didn't take it, and now? Guess who's deputy of ThunderClan," Tigerstar said sarcastically and angrily towards Hawkfrost. 

"Firestar still has plenty of lives left, and Brackenfur is quite a bit older than you are, so you will probably have your chance," Hawkfrost said reassuringly. 

"Oh yes, of course. Obviously he has a second chance, let me tell you, he doesn't. When the golden furball retires or dies, Firestar would also be old, and so will Brambleclaw. There will be new warriors to replace him, and Brambleclaw would no longer be the first choice for deputy," Tigerstar said, "Why do you think I had to act so quickly with Redtail and Lionheart? If I missed the chance, I would never get another one. The same is for you two." 

"Then how will we get the chance?" Brambleclaw asked, "Hawkfrost, Leopardstar and Mistyfoot are both starting to show their age, but Brackenfur is still young, and so is Firestar. I can't wait till Firestar loses all his nine lives or when Brackenfur dies or retires. And even so, I can't act quickly, I still need an apprentice, and the next batch won't be ready until another two moons, Brackenfur's not retiring in two moons." 

"Well son, ever heard of accidental death?" Tigerstar asked furiously. 

"Death? I'm not killing anycat, not Firestar, not Brackenfur," Brambleclaw replied just as angrily. 

"Then, force them to retire," Hawkfrost said simply, "I've been trying to do so to Mistyfoot for moons, but she hasn't fallen into any of my traps yet."

Tigerstar looked at Hawkfrost with interest and said, "What have you done?" 

"I've tried to lure her to dangerous areas such as the Thunderpath or tall trees, or areas of rushing water. It hasn't worked yet, and she's very suspicious of my motives, so I've stopped for a while," Hawkfrost said. 

"Thanks for the advice," Brambleclaw said sarcastically, "But I think I will work my way up, the normal way, I don't want to hurt anycat along my path." 

Tigerstar growled, "Well, son, we will see how you feel in two moons, when you have an apprentice, and when you know that had Firestar waited an extra two moons to appoint a deputy, the place that golden furball stands would have been yours."