"my p-professor wrote to me saying how well i did i-in my assignment. i-i must say, joshua. i am very chuffed with m-my efforts." the boy giggled, as josh's heart and stomach did several somersaults.

"well i'm proud of you, tyler." josh smiled, he loved how tyler had never addressed him by the shortened version of his name, only the full length version, joshua. it made him more adorable, if that was possible.

"t-thank you, joshua." the boy blushed slightly at the praise. he wasn't quite sure as to why he felt warm inside after every compliment or praise he was given. but it made him happier.

"you know, tyler. i've noticed you don't stutter as much anymore. and i'm proud of you for that too." tyler's gaze met josh's almost instantly, his cheeks burnt a darker shade of red as he himself had only just come to the same realisation.

"i guess it's because y-you're my safe place, j-joshua." the boy replied, eyes moving back to the screen in front of him.

"baby i really don't want to stop you from working, but looking at a screen for so long can destroy your eyesight." josh sighed, watching as tyler lifted his eyes from his screen.

"w-what time is it?" the boy mumbled.

"eight thirty two." the older boy closed the lid of tyler's laptop.

"m' sorry, j-joshua." tyler looked down to his lap as he played with the hem of his turtleneck, his glasses sliding down his face.

"hey, you need to stop saying you're sorry. you should never be sorry around me, okay? i'll be the only person who says sorry, alright bub?" josh placed his hand on top of tyler's, startling the boy. he nodded slowly before moving over to sit closer to josh. the boy wrapped his arms around the red head's neck and rested his head on josh's shoulder. he closed his eyes as he felt soft fingers run through his hair.

he believed this boy was a gift from heaven itself. he was crafted in the most elegant of ways, from the strand of his hair to the ends of his toes. it was such a shame that nobody had paid attention to the boy ever before, and for joshua to be the first was almost an honour. ever since he first laid eyes on the brunette he knew that there was something worth learning. he had a wise mind, but was afraid to speak it. joshua wanted to break that wall tyler had built, so the boy could feel like he had a place in this earth. and as he rested in josh's arms, light kisses pressed to his temple, the boy was starting to feel some worth in himself.

🍦

slight mentions of abuse

somehow joshua found himself drenched in the pouring rain outside of the cafe tyler had let him to previous days ago. he had found an attraction deep within, maybe because it reminded him of the brunette. but here he was, whilst tyler was asleep at home, standing outside the window of an empty cafe. which was something he had never done before, because nobody really uses cafes anymore. especially not the self established ones. most people would venture towards the more popularised brands, instead of the home made. in most cases, the self established cafes are always better. more time and effort is put into the customer, instead of dishing out beverages and treats so they can get their monthly paycheck.

he walked through the door which provided the sound of a bell as he stepped inside, making him jump at the sudden sound. he took off his dripping wet parka and hung it on one of the pegs that tyler had told him was completely fine. he turned around to see nobody at all in the shop, he lightly pressed the bell tyler had days before, and once again, an old lady appeared from the door.

"hello dear, can i help you?" she smiled, flashing her perfect teeth as she did so.

"i actually wanted to talk to you, miss." she raised an eyebrow at joshua's response.

"what could you possibly talk to me about?" she motioned for josh to sit at one of the tables as she did so herself.

"tyler." he nodded, taking his seat. she gasped in surprise.

"oh gosh, you're that handsome young man he brought in the other day!" she laughed, josh nodded slowly, a grin on his face. "what do you want to know about 'im, my love?"

"when did you first meet?" he rested his head back on the chair as his body relaxed.

"i knew him when he was a little boy, his mother had left the family, and his father was out working all day. so, i took the poor boy in, looked after 'im for a few hours." she explained.

"what do you mean, his mother left the family?" his tone changed drastically as curiosity peaked.

"keep this between me and you, chick. his mother was a terrible woman. she'd hurt the kid, and 'twas nothing his father could do 'bout it. he'd come 'ere and tell me all about it. it broke my 'eart honestly." joshua was completely shocked. even at a young age tyler was going through the same things he still faced today. it was almost as if history was always repeating itself when it came to the brunette. even though it was impossible, a small fragment of josh's mind was telling him to find this woman.

it always seemed like when josh was in the middle of conversation his phone would ring. he'd always jump straight to conclusions and assume that his assistant wanted something, something that josh had no interest in. or it would be his mother begging him to move back in, which would never happen. but as he brought his phone from his pocket he read the name displayed on the screen. he was confused as it appeared to be tyler ringing him. he quickly answered and placed the phone over his ear.

"j-joshua..." the boy sniffed, evident that he in fact crying.

"what's wrong, bub?" josh sat forward, the old woman in front of him had a growing concern.

"a-apricot."