Chapter seven- Leave the Leaf?

"Okay, I understand."

Hotaru nodded and smiled at her sensei. She had expected Kurenai to take it easy, she was a naturally easygoing person who only did what she thought best. And this was most definitely what was best for Hotaru.

"Thanks, Kurenai-sensei." she bit her lip, and gave her a sad look. Kurenai put a hand on her student's head and smiled comfortingly, and redhead responded by hugging her tightly.

"Hey, what's with all the hugging?" Hotaru slowly pulled away at the voice, and saw the rest of her team entering the clearing. She saw the dog-boy, but couldn't bring herself to glare.

"Well, you three, Hotaru has some rather sad news." Kurenai said, and Hinata looked slightly alarmed, while Kiba and Shino frowned. Kurenai gestured for the redhead to tell her teammates, and the younger girl nodded.

"Guys.. I'm leaving for a couple of years."

There was dead silence as the three Chunin stared at their comrade, shocked. Hotaru fidgeted uncomfortably.

"What? Why?" Hinata asked, seeming upset. Hotaru gave a sad smile.

"I'm going to Suna to train, then I'm going to travel." Hotaru said, putting her hands in her pockets.

"Why can't you train here?" Shino questioned, and Hotaru grinned wryly.

"Well now, that's not any fun, is it?" she said, then gave them a serious look. "I need to get a lot stronger, and here I'm always distracted. I also have to assure myself of something..."

Hotaru's hazel eyes misted with thought, and then she grinned. "I'll probably back by the time Naruto comes home from training with Jiraiya-jiji though... maybe a little longer. Depends on how long Granny Chiyo wants me for."

After much discussion, Hotaru's eyes landed on her rival, the mutt himself. He had been silent the whole conversation, and Hotaru cocked an eyebrow at him.

Her breath hitched as their eyes met, only for a split second. Kiba then turned and walked out of the clearing, Akamaru trotting at his heels.

Hinata watched him worriedly. "What's wrong with Kiba-kun?"

Hotaru scrunched up her nose. "Beats me.."

Shino just eyed them carefully. He caught his sensei's eye, and the two shared a look of understanding, before looking away, and continuing the training session. Kiba probably just needed some alone time.

---

Hotaru glared at her backpack. She had managed to get all of her necessities into it, but it refused to zip up. It was small, and she only had a few sets of clothes, her pj's, a photograph of all of her friends, some food and a water bottle. All of her weapons and such were in her leg pouch.

She hadn't packed a picture of Sasori.. she had full intention of seeing him soon anyway.

She had said she was going to Suna, and that was true... but only for a few days to visit Granny Chiyo. Then she was off to travel, but mostly gather intel on a certain S-rank criminal organisation.

Once she found the place, she would help Sasori escape and get him to train her. And if that failed, offer her abilities to the Akatsuki in exchange for one of them training her.

If that didn't get her strong... she didn't know what would. Then she'd never need protecting again... it would never be up to one of her comrades to save her.

Shaking it off, she did a running jump, landing on her pack, and somehow managed to zip it up while she was laying on it. She did a victorious fist pump, brandishing the now zipped pack.

"I win!!" she crowed, then threw the pack onto the floor. "Take that you stupid backpack!"

After a minute of mad laughter, she caught herself.

"I am taunting a backpack..." she muttered, picking up the abused backpack. "It's official; I am mental."

As if to annoy her, the zip of the backpack slid open. A vein bulged on Hotaru's forehead, and her eyebrow twitched. She threw the backpack as hard as she could, sending it's contents everywhere.

"OH FOR F*** SAKE!!!"

* * *

Standing at the gate, Hotaru spared a moment to look over her home village. It was dark; she'd said her goodbyes earlier on, and waited till dark to leave so as not to meet anyone on the way. She didn't want to be choked up on the journey.

She nodded and smiled to herself, sticking her hands in her pockets as she started to walk.

"Don't worry," she called, not turning around to face the eyes that watched her from the trees shadow. "I'll be back and kicking your ass sooner than you think, mutt."

______

I know it's short. I'm sorry!!

I just wanted to get this bit out of the way so I could get to the romance-y part! Heheheeeh :3

Well, fan, vote, and COOOMMMMEEENTTT!!!

个 READ IT!! (o^^o)

COME OOONN PEOPLE!! IT'S ELEVEN O'CLOCK OVER HER IN THE UK AND I STAYED UP TO FINISH AND POST THIS!! THAT IS DEDICATION!! I DESERVE COMMENTS!! :3