Chapter 15: We dig and find more than we expected

Once I pulled out my own computer and created a different user, it was fairly easy to create a separate database made completely from the information in the mini-drive. Once everything was downloaded, I refreshed and updated the entire thing. In one minute, I had all the files and data which were being used on my father's system, even new ones which had not existed before I left.

I felt Daniel watching me over my shoulder. Somehow it made me nervous, but I ignored the feeling and got back to work. 

First, I looked at the mail.

Father has certainly been busy, I thought to myself. Almost 50 new messages had arrived in the last week, one week after I had broken Daniel out and made myself disappear. Some were even from the Supreme Ruler, but I ignored those. The ones I wanted were in a small, locked folder.

Once he saw the identity of the correspondent, I felt Daniel flinch. I pulled up the latest video message, sent a few days after the Great Escape, and played it. When Malcor's face appeared, I could hear -- was that growling?-- in Daniel's chest.

"Governor Ganderion, the two Vigilantes are ready for transportation. I will take them to your home office, to make sure I am not spotted by your snob peers. They are in good condition, slightly bruised, but they are good enough for your intended purpose, I think. I am sure we can come to an agreement on price..."

The video ended. 

I sat there with Daniel in that small, dark room. We didn't say anything, but that does not mean we didn't feel anything. Daniel was breathing hard, definitely growling, and I saw his hands were clenched into fists. I can't say I blamed him. I myself was trying not to throw up. They talked about actual people like a load of fruit ready for sale! "a few bruises, but good enough for your purposes"! I turned away.

"Keep going," Daniel said softly. "We need to keep going."

On a sudden impulse, I softly grasped his hand. Nothing was said, but I did everything I could to wordlessly communicate whatever comfort I could provide. Not long ago, he had been in the same situation. This had been his life.

I took a deep breath and selected the next communication. It was of Malcor, talking about more slaves he would bring on his next run and thanks-for-buying-my-merchandise. Nothing important.

Then the last sentence caught my attention.

"I hear from certain flighty creatures that you have recently acquired a parcel of the fairer quality if you know what I mean. If you have no further use for her information I am told she possesses, I would gladly trade with you on my next run. Females sell well in the Farther Reaches."

If I had felt sick before, I was nauseated to my core now. I couldn't move. My arms were lead, and I suddenly felt cold throughout, like I had been locked in a cryo-unit. Daniel noticed.

"What's the matter?"

I said nothing, only exited the folder and opened the one titled Sent Communications. At the very top, my father had sent something to a woman.

Cassiopeia, 

In investigating my daughter's disappearance, we have discovered secret communications between herself and your daughter. As your daughter has disappeared as well, we are assuming that they planned to run away together. Rest assured that we are doing everything in our power to find both your child and mine.

If I hadn't known before, I knew now, beyond a shadow of a doubt.

"What is it?"

I couldn't speak. Stars, I couldn't even move my mouth!

"Asteroids, Neri, you're seriously freaking me out! Come on, snap out of it!" He gently smacked my cheek until I moved to grab his hand. 

"Good, you're still breathing. Now, what is it?"

"He...he has taken someone else." I breathed. 

Daniel stared at me. "What! Another one?!"

I took a deep breath. "I know...I know who she is."

***********************************************

So there, finally, is Chapter 15 of The Truth of Past and Present. I am so so so so so so so so very extremely sorry for the delay in getting this out to everyone. I have some real issues when it comes to Writer's Block (the Bane of All Writers, dun dun dun).

How do you guys like it so far? If you like it, spot inconsistencies, want me to write more, or have any suggestions for the storyline, I would love to hear any and all comments!

Thank you all so much for your patience and support. I am already over halfway done with Chapter 16, and I will try my best to release it within the week.

Keep Calm and Write On!