Chapter 2

Disclaimer: I don’t own Newsies! If I did, there would be a sequel-somehow- and it would be re-mastered!

“Headlines don’t sell papes, newsies sell papes.” Jack wove through the crowd as he told David this.

“Without us newsies, the citizens of New York know nothin’,” I said confidently. David looked skeptical of what I told him, but I clapped him on the back. He winced. “Wese

the glue that holds this town togethah, so you gotta loin the trade.”

We began to go our separate ways from the other boys of our group, each shouting our own versions of the boring headlines. As I handed an old man a paper from my shoulder, I heard Jack teaching Les about embellishing the headlines and saying anything to sell.

We stopped near a bakery and I set my papes down. They were getting heavy. I snatched Jack’s hat off his head and set it on the ground in front of me. Time to go to work.

“Good people of Manhattan,” I had several ladies’ attention, but it wasn’t enough. I pulled a large flower out of my sleeve and handed it to the closest girl. She blushed and there was some clapping. It wasn’t enough for me. I do like being in the spotlight. “Would youse like to see a trick?” Several kids nodded, pulling their mothers in my direction. I adjusted my grey cap to make sure it was secure and I pulled out a handkerchief.

“Young man, I cain’t do this trick myself. Would you lend poor James a hand?” I asked the closest kid to me. He nodded quickly and I winked at his mother, who looked nervous. “See this stone, kid?” I nudged a large chunk that was on the ground-maybe from building or poorly made streets. “I can make it…disappeah!” I threw the cloth over the rock and said the magic words. With a flourish, I whipped it off again and the rock was gone. “Now, boy, reach into ya pocket.” The kid did as I said and pulled out a pebble, one that fit perfectly in the center of his hand. His face split into a wide grin and he ran to his mom, showing her the pebble.

“Young lady, what’s that behind ya eah?” I reached behind another girl’s ear and pulled out a chocolate, which I placed into her clean, waiting hand. “Sir, pick a card!” I held the deck of cards I had grabbed from my pocket out to the gentleman in front of me. He picked a card from the fanned deck with a grimace. “Take a good look, your honnah, and then place it back in me deck.” He did so. I skillfully shuffled the deck and whistled. Hopefully, this would be a good haul today. After shuffling, I turned to an old man wearing a bowler hat and approached him. “Sir, would ya mind checkin’ your hat for me? I’m afraid I misplaiced one ‘o me cards.” He did so, with a small chuckle. His eyebrows raised as he pulled out a card. “Is ya card the…Queen of Hearts, sir?”

The snooty man nodded. The small audience clapped and I passed around Jack’s hat. It came back to me with several pennies, a dime, and a nickel. This particular crowd was generous. I pocketed the money and picked up my papes. I walked beck to where Jack and David stood by the shop. Les was grinning and trying to make his pirate sword disappear.

“Good show, sis. Ise not so sure the rat in the front enjoyed it, though.” Jack nudged Les, who was getting to close to the busy street.

“Yeah, well, I got around eighteen or nineteen cents already, Jacky, so we’se already off to a good start today.” I said. We started walking again. Jack led us as he continued to teach Les how to act. David looked like he had some problems with Jack, but I talked to him. “David, I know Jack may look like he’s real-um, what‘s the woid-irrepressible?”

“Irresponsible?”

“Yeah, that! Anyway, he may seem irresponsible, but he wouldn’ let anythin’ happen to Les. He took care ‘o me for nine years an’ look how I turned out!” David didn’t look that optimistic, but I clapped him on the back and smiled. Then I grabbed a paper, like my brother, and started selling as we walked toward Jack’s favorite selling spot. “Extra! Extra! Baby born with three heads! Brooklyn proud of it’s new citizen!” A women gave me a few pennies and I handed her the paper. I tipped my hat to her and said, “Thank ya, ma’am.”