I Love You, Chibiusa

Chibiusa was asleep in bed, having nightmares of the future. She was tossing and turning and whimpering. She couldn’t relax.

When morning came, Chibiusa woke up to discover she’d wet Usagi’s bed. She was sure Usagi would be furious. Before she could even think to do anything though, Usagi walked in the door and saw the wet spot on the bed. Chibiusa started crying and hid her face, certain Usagi would strike her. However, Usagi wasn’t mad at all. She simply said, “It’s okay, Chibiusa. I’ll wash the sheets. Let’s just get you cleaned up, huh?”

Chibiusa calmed down and Usagi picked her up and carried her to the bathroom. She started the bath and undressed Chibiusa, throwing the soiled pajamas in the hamper. She washed her up and tried to play with her a bit, but Chibiusa wasn’t in the mood.

“What’s wrong, Chibiusa?” asked Usagi. “I’m not mad.”

“I miss my mother,” Chibiusa told her. “She sent me here for training, but I want to go back home. I miss everyone back home so much.”

“She’s only trying to help you,” Usagi explained, though she knew Chibiusa wouldn’t understand. She was only 5 and she really did need her mother.

“I know, but I still want to go back home,” Chibiusa said.

Usagi finished bathing Chibiusa and picked her up out the tub. Dressing her in a towel, she carried the small child back to her bedroom and laid her on the bed.

“Usagi?” Chibiusa said while Usagi picked her out an outfit.

“Yes, sweetie?”

“Do you want to be my future mother?”

Usagi was stunned for a moment, but quickly realized where the question came from. Chibiusa had been a pain when she first came and all sorts of trouble had happened. Because of that, Usagi disliked Chibiusa and often wished she would disappear. However, once she found out exactly what was going on–that Chibiusa came from the future in search of a way to rescue her mother and was being chased by people intent on killing her–she became sympathetic and felt bad for Chibiusa. She remembered how hard it was for her when she first started as a sailor soldier and she was 14. Chibiusa was only 5 and had much bigger problems than her. She could only imagine the poor girl’s burden.

“I guess you don’t?” Chibiusa said, starting to tear up.

Usagi remembered Chibiusa’s question and realized she hadn’t answered it yet. “Of course, I do,” she told her.

“You’re not mad at me anymore?”

“No, sweetie,” Usagi answered. “But you should’ve just told me you needed help. I would’ve listened and done anything I could to help you.”

“I didn’t think you’d believe me,” Chibiusa admitted.

“After I became a soldier, so many things started happening,” Usagi told her. “I wouldn’t have had any reason not to believe you.”

Usagi dressed Chibiusa and then, the two walked downstairs for breakfast. Unfortunately, Chibiusa tripped down the stairs and hit her head. The little girl started crying instantly, but Usagi picked her up and cradled her, which quickly calmed her down. She then inspected her head, which was undamaged, so the two continued downstairs.

Luna, from afar, watched them, feeling proud of Usagi for how much she’d matured since becoming a soldier.

At the breakfast table, Usagi and Chibiusa took their fair share of pancakes. Chibiusa wasn’t really hungry and Usagi took notice. Chibiusa did eat part of her breakfast, but eventually left the table, went in the living room and sat in a corner, facing the wall.