º25º

January 17th, 2016

Noah's POV

I sat in the pizza place with my friends Alex and James. I was finally learning to have a good time again, and stop worrying about things. Life has to go on, I remind myself daily of this.  I was talking and laughing with my friends again, and it felt good.

We were sitting on the stools, goofing off like we used to, when the owner of the shop switched the television channel to the news. 

"...and today marks the one month anniversary of when local thirteen year old girl, Kaitlyn Prescott went missing. No leads have been found, besides two boys spreading word on twitter. Police are still on the lookout to find the teenager. If you have any information please contact us at.."

I stopped talking with the boys, and looked over at the t.v. They were showing a picture of my little sister. She was standing in the park near our house, in front of the picnic bench we always use. It was from back in September, when we celebrated Luke's birthday. She was in a blue sweatshirt I had bought for her, and her hair was blowing all over. She was smiling widely, and in the background you could see the birthday decorations, which she had spent weeks hand making so her brother's birthday would be special. 

Alex and James saw me staring, and they stopped goofing off. 

"Dude, i'm sorry. Do you want to go?" Alex asked, patting my shoulder. 

"N-no it's okay. I want to still hang out. Let's go get ice cream?" I said, trying to compose my voice.  I try to forget, to move on and live life like I usually would, but the reminders are everywhere. Do we even have any hope that she'll come home? I've lost all hope. If they were going to find her, wouldn't they have already? It's been a month!

Of course i know it may not seem that long, but it seems like years when it's someone close to you. And I know I'm not the only one who feels that way.

I've checked on all of her friends.  They say something feels empty inside them,and I feel the same way. I've just lost all hope that they might find her, and I feel kind of dead. I spent thirteen years of my life getting to know this kid, getting to love her. She's my little sister, for crying out loud. What kind of monster does this?

I shake all of this off and walk out into the night air with my friends. How do you live life normally when you know someone else is dying?

Kaitlyn's pov

One month. One month has gone by since the last day I saw everyone I knew and loved. Not to mention twelve days of pure horror and agony. In the twelve days I have been locked in colleen's basement, unspeakable things have happened to me. I just wish things could go back to the way they were a month ago. Heck, even thirteen days ago, when i was still safe with Brandon and Hunter. At least then I had a bit of hope that I would be able to get home. 

I miss my family. Lately I've been able to remember more of them. It's funny how i've been so out of touch and zoning out of the real world, the real horror I'm in now, and finding myself in old memories that I'd forgotten. 

I miss my brothers the most. 

They were my best friends. My older brother, Noah and I were so close. I remember one day, back in the summer, when he had taken me to the pool with his friends. It was crowded, but we didn't mind. While him and his friends went off to the deep end goofing around, I stayed in the shallow. Some kid came up behind me and dunked me. It took me by surprise and I didn't have enough time to get a good breath of air. I came up sputtering and coughing, to see that the kid was gone. 

When Noah noticed something was wrong, he said he would take me home. He wasn't upset that I'd ruined his day out with his friend, instead he just tried to make me feel better. I couldn't ask for a better brother in that moment. 

And, my little brother Luke. He may be little, but he and i were still close. He would always want me to play with him, but most of the time I was busy and i rarely complied to his wishes. Oh how I wish I had spent more time with him. 

I hope they are carrying on with their lives as normal. I wish I could. But I'm ever so slowly dying down here.