59. An Honor and a Burden

Start from the beginning

"For what?" He tried to chuckle, and almost coughed his lungs up. Ayla knew she probably shouldn't be doing it, but she clutched him tightly anyway. "It's only one scar, Ayla. And not even a very big one. It would be a pity if I came away from this little war of yours without one scar to show for it."

He coughed again. Ayla wished she could just wave her hands and make his wounds go away. She'd sell her soul to the devil for that.

"Besides, I think it looks rather dashing, doesn't it?"

"You're a brain-rotten fool!"

He gave her the soot-blackened remnant of a smile. "You're full of compliments today, Milady, aren't you?"

"I love you!"

"I love myself, too."

"Then why?" She grabbed him at his burned collar, pulling him up towards her. "Why did you do something so insanely brain-rotten stupid?"

"Because I love you more."

Ayla could hardly keep from throwing herself at him right then. She only managed it by closing her eyes and pretending he wasn't there—for about two seconds, until his seductive voice penetrated her defenses. "Kiss me."

Oh, that voice of his... She shook with the effort to resist. "I can't!"

"Why not?"

"I'm worried I' might hurt you!"

He gave another cough-laugh. "That's the best joke I've heard in years!"

"It's not just about the pain, stupid! The skin on your lips might very well come of!"

"It'll be very well worth the sacrifice."

"Reuben...!"

"Besides, I always wanted to be a part of you. I can't wait for you to eat me all up."

"Reuben! That's..."

"Romantic?"

"Disgusting! I was going to say disgusting!" She turned her face away from him. "And a little bit romantic, too."

"Kiss me, Ayla," Reuben growled. "Now."

Ayla felt heat flood her face.

"Guards!" she shouted in desperation. "Where's that hot water? I need it, now!"

*~*~**~*~*

Reuben didn't stay long at the improvised nursery. After only a few days, he was up on his feet again, although parts of his feet—the blackened parts—threatened to fall off threatened to fall off. He had been wrong: he hadn't just one scar. One foot was badly burned, and he had a wound on his thigh where a splinter of falling wood had pierced his clothes.

All of this put together should have been more than enough to keep any men abed for at least a week. Ayla was of the opinion that her patient should stay horizontal for at least double that time, considering the severity of his injuries. But unfortunately, there was the tiny problem of his not being able to feel a single one of the aforementioned injuries.

"I feel fine," Reuben proclaimed, marching up and down the tiny room like a caged tiger, and leaving bloody marks all over the floor as his food oozed various bodily fluids. "I should be on my way."

"On your way? What in God's name do you mean? You're going nowhere like this!"

"I already am," he pointed out. "I'm going in circles. And it's damned annoying."

"Then lie down!"

"That would be even more annoying. And boring and stupid besides. I've got work to do!"