Chapter 23: Kill me

Start from the beginning

Meredith laid her head of Finnick's shoulder. She didn't want to fall asleep, she did her best not to. She would sometimes feel her eyes closing but she would force them open. She took her head off Finnick's shoulder and started to rub her eyes, Finnick knew what she was trying to do.

"Meredith, it's okay to sleep." He said moving her hands away from her eyes.

"I know it's okay, I just don't want to" Meredith answered has if it was obvious.

"If you get a nightmare and are still asleep I promise I'll wake you up" Finnick said

Meredith sighed and put her head back on Finnick's shoulder and let sleep take over her body. Finnick looked down at her and put his arm around her and kissed her head.

Morning came and everyone started to wake up. To her surprise Meredith didn't have any nightmares last night. Juniper was walking around the room all happy and exited.

"Today's the tribute parade. My favorite part of the games" she squealed

Meredith rolled her eyes and went into her room to get changed into a simple t-shirt and jeans. After all having a very quiet breakfast were Serena actually showed up, they all escorted the tributes down to were the parade will be and were they will be able to get dressed up. Once there, Meredith looked around to find Tigris her stylist. She and Tigris were in a way friends, Meredith liked her very much.

"Where is Tigris?" Meredith asked Juniper.

"Oh, haven't you heard, president snow got rid of her since she wasn't pretty enough" Juniper answered

"What!" Meredith exclaimed

"I'm surprised it took him this long to fire her." Juniper added and walked away.

Meredith couldn't believe. She really liker Tigris, she was so nice to her and President Snow just got rid of her because she wasn't pretty enough. Meredith wasn't happy about the news, not one bit. Meredith made her way to see Finnick and tell him what she had just learned but didn't have the chance to since he had started talking with someone else.

"Well, well, well, if it isn't Johanna Mason" Finnick said has he walked towards this girl with short dark hair.

"Finnick!" she smiled

Meredith suddenly realize who this girl was. She was in the games a year before Meredith was. She walked closer towards Finnick. She was shy and she stayed a bit in the back. Finnick turned around and smiled at Meredith.

"Johanna, this is Meredith Keene" Finnick said introducing them.

"So your the twelve year old girl who won the games last year" Johanna said

Meredith was only able to smile awkwardly, she didn't know what to say.

"I'm so sick of this. It's only my second year mentoring and I hate it" Johanna suddenly said "I couldn't have gotten the worse tributes. It mean the girl just keeps sobbing all the time and the boy thinks he could do better without my help. Anyway it's not like if I care whether they die or live"

Meredith was surprised by what she had said. She didn't know someone could be so careless about what happens to others. She wasn't to sure if she liked Johanna very much. Meredith didn't say anything else yet Finnick and Johanna got along very well. They had met last year, when Johanna mentored for the first time. They became close fast and were friends.

The parade had at last started. Meredith watched has the district four carriage took off. The outfits of the tributes weren't so nice. Meredith knew that Tigris would've done a much better job. Finnick didn't pay attention at all, he was talking to Johanna the whole time, Meredith didn't dare talk to the other Mentors, she was to intimidated by them.

"You know, it's okay to talk to the other mentors" Finnick told Meredith has they walked back ti the room after the parade.

"I know, I'm just huh-"

"Shy" Finnick cut her off. "I know everyone is much older than you but it isn't a bad thing to have friends who are mentors. It makes this period of time easier"

Meredith was sitting in her room looking at a picture of the beach that was reflecting on that tv, window thing that she never understood. Meredith turned her head when she heard her door open, it was Serena. She had tears in her eyes has she walked inside. Meredith stood up.

"Are you okay?" Meredith asked

Serena didn't say anything and just walked towards Meredith. She grabbed her shoulder and put a knife and the neck.

"Yell and you die" she said

Serena and Meredith walked out of the room and inside the kitchen were Finnick was talking to Salton about the games. Serena cleared the through and The two boys turned around to see Meredith being held at knife point. Finnick's heart skipped a beat.

"Serena, let Meredith go" Finnick said scared

"No!" Shouted Serena

"You don't want to do this" Finnick told her getting closer

"If I kill her you'll have to kill me. So go on dare me" She shouted

"What is all this racquet.... Oh my god" Cried Juniper has she walked in the kitchen looking down at the scene.

Meredith looked at Finnick with fear in her eyes. She was scared and didn't want to die.

"Listen to me Serena. No one need to get hurt. Just let her-"

"I'm not going in those games. Either you kill me here and now, or she dies!" Said Serena tightening her grip on Meredith.

Serena was crying and Meredith knew she had to do something. She took a leap of faith and grabbed The hand Serena had s knife with and twisted it. She ripped the knife out of Serena's hand and put her arm behind her back. Serena dropped the knife and Finnick ran towards them and pushed Serena against the wall who was trying fight her way out.

"Do you know in how much trouble you just got yourself in" Finnick spat

"Let go of me!" She shouted

The doors opened and Two peacekeepers entered the flat. They pushed Finnick aside and took Serena Atwater and dragged her out of the room.

Meredith gasped "What are they going to do to her"

"Who knows" Finnick answered has he put his arms around the still shaking Meredith. "Are you okay?"

"Now I am" Meredith answered "why would she do that?"

"I guess she thought if she killed you or tried to, she would die for it which would mean she wouldn't be in the games" Finnick answered

"I wanna go home" Meredith cried and she put her arms around Finnick and hugged him.

"Don't worry, it's over now" Finnick said rubbing her back has she cried into his chest...