Unforgiven

*Three Months Later*

"Come one, Marg! Mr. Dean won't bite!" Sophie insisted that Marg should have dinner at their hotel, saying that her dad is gonna cook a special dinner tonight. Sophia told Marg that every year, his dad celebrates by hosting a grand dinner, he never told Sophia why. But after the games and party, she'd see her dad sitting alone in his room, teary eyed and angry.

"I have to tell my mom first, I'll be there, I swear!" Marg yelled, already walking away. She wants to go, but she can't just leave her mother without any warning. So she skips back to her home, and when she gets there, she can smell chocolate and vanilla coming out of their apartment.

"Mom?" She asks, reaching the test papers she got today out of her bag and bringing them to her mother, "Mom, look.. I had a perfect score!"

Her mother looked awfully pale today, but she's cooking and baking, something she hasn't done in a few months now, "Oh, baby.. That's wonderful! Come here.." She opened her arms and urged Marg to give her a hug, and she did, rushing in to that warm embrace,

"Happy birthday, mom." Marg whispered.

"Thank you, sweetie.. So much." Her mother whispered, her arms hugging tighter.

"Mom.. Mom you're crushing me.." Marg joked, sighing a breath of relief when her mother released.

The kitchen was a mess, mostly because of all the baking, but also because her mom can't control her hands as skillfully as she did, her fingers are usually numb. Marg worries about her constantly, she is constantly torn whether she'll go to school or take care of her mother. It breaks her heart to see the woman who raised her grow weaker everyday.

"So.. Mom," Marg started.

"Yes, dear?"

"Well... Sophia is inviting me to their place tonight. Said that Seb-.. Dad, is cooking them dinner.. It's pretty special she says." Marg said quietly, twirling her hair. She's anxious, yes. Her mother never quite liked the idea of her being that close to Sebastian.

Marg's mother turned to her and smiled, the warmest and widest smile Marg's ever seen since the diagnosis. She doesn't know what that smile meant but it made her happy.

"You should go, Marg.. Sebastian would be so happy if you'd come."

"But... Are you gonna be okay, though? How are you feeling? I don't know, mom. Maybe I should just stay here and--"

"Margarita! Calm down.." Her mother laughed, the most sincere laugh. "I'm feeling electric. I'll be perfect.. I'm gonna snuggle later and watch movies.."

"Not his movies, please.." Marg said sarcastically, reaching out to hold her mom's hands, "Don't hurt yourself like that, mom."

"I won't, baby.. At least I'll sleep tonight knowing you're with him.." Her mother smiled sadly, pulling Marg for a warm and tight embrace.

"Thanks, mom.. I wish you could meet him. He's amazing." Marg exhaled, her eyes landing on a faded photo stuck on the fridge, a photo of her mother and Sebastian together. Happy.

---
*At the Stan's place.*

Sophia smiled at Marg with a mouthful of mashed potato in her mouth, they both laughed.

"Soph, seriously, kid. That's gross." Sebastian laughed, "Quit it."

"Sorry, dad. Just trying to make Marg laugh. She looks so gloomy tonight, I can't even.."

"Can't even what?"

"Nothing.. That's.. That's just how we say it."

"You young people are so difficult sometimes." Sebastian and Sophia laughed, but Marg just sat there still, smiling at their jokes. She's face-to-face with his father, yet she feels so empty. She just wants her mother here, so they could be together again. At least, be friends, like they used to.

Sebastian cleared his throat, and that seemed to catch Marg's attention, "So, Margo, I-uhh.. don't really know much about you. Other than how awesome you are, as Sophia says all the time." He laughed, smiling at Marg.

"O-oh.. Well. What do you wanna know?" Marg asked nervously, she's never really talked to Sebastian about anything, so sharing your personal life with him seems so..... unnatural.

"Well.. What street are you from? I used to live here, believe it or not.. Once." He said, and his smile fades, eyes shifting down.

"Just.. just a few blocks away from here. I live with my mom at the apartment complex there."

"Your mom? She must be amazing.. What about your dad?"

"He's.... not here anymore. I mean, he left. Before I was born." Marg said sadly, glancing at Sebastian whose smile is now completely gone. He's staring at her.. "But it doesn't bother me.. I didn't really knew him and my mom refused to talk about him."

"I'm really sorry about that, Margo. Are you okay?" Sebastian puts his spoon and fork down, he seems distressed.

"Yeah.. I'm okay. I'm sorry about that. I didn't mean to make this dinner so awkward." Marg laughed, feeling so uncomfortable about the silence. She just wants the ground to crack open and swallow her whole, how embarrassed she is.

-----
UGH. fille