Chapter Twelve

Mina and Ever made their way downstairs, walking in a pleasant silence. Ever didn't care what Mina had to say, and Mina was too busy with her thoughts to notice.
When they reached the same room Mina left Teague at last night, her stomach flipped.

He was sitting there, still shirtless, laughing at something Nix had just told him. Teague's smile was something rare, dimples popping out and his eyes twinkling in a very adorable way, like all the happiness of the world was centered in those eyes as deep as the ocean.

"How are you feeling?" Mina asked, drawing Teague's attention. He immediately stiffened in his seat, the bandages on his body twisting, making him wince.

"It's not... The most ideal situation, but I suppose it's better than bleeding to death." Teague's discomfort was obvious, and the way he kept shifting to find a less painful position was making Mina sad.

"Nix, can you grab the rest of that medicine from last night? I could use some more bandages as well, if someone could get that," Mina ordered, closing the distance between her and Teague with just a few short steps. She began peeling off his bandaids from before, internally gagging at the sight.

The gashes and cuts that were once bleeding, were now scabbing over and gross looking. The irritated skin around them was now a sickly green brown, and Mina really hoped that meant they were healing.

"Here you go, Mina!" Nix exclaimed, dropping the bowl of salve next to Mina as she sat next to Teague on the couch.

"Thanks, Nix. Does it still smell bad to you?" She asked, biting her lip and glancing at her little green friend.
Nix didn't answer, but instead made way for Brody, who dropped tons of new bandages next to Mina as well.

"Thanks, Brody," Mina sighed, watching the orbs nervously float around Teague, their colors changing because of the sour smelling medicine.
"You guys are terrible at lying, I can tell this smells awful!" Mina cried, listening to them make excuses and non complaints.

"My good friends, thank you for your help. I ask that you leave, or at least back away, so that you don't have to overload on this gross stuff," Teague said calmly, smiling at the group of orbs around him. They backed up a little bit, but only a yard or two. Mina shrugged and sighed, then turned back to her medicine and Teague's wounds.

"I'm still really sorry about this," Mina whispered, dabbing the cuts lightly. "Does this still nauseate you? I'm sorry, I'll try to hurry."
Teague's cheeks reddened at the remembrance of last night, and he ducked his head in shame.

"Would you stop apologizing all the time? It's sickening how kind you are to those who don't deserve your empathy," he muttered, watching Mina bandage his tan and green chest.

"You do too deserve it! I believe that much," Mina protested, stopping to look at Teague. He finally looked up at her. "You saved me, I returned the favor. Now I'm just helping because... Because... Because I want to. I want to help you." Mina smiled at him, then began with the medicine again.

Teague watched her hands layer his cuts with the medicine, brushing gently so it wouldn't hurt. He would sometimes dart his eyes towards hers for a few seconds, then glanced away.
Mina tried to be quick-she could see the muted pain in his expression, and could guess that the smell wasn't helping in the slightest, but he was a great patient.

"Brody!" Teague called, a smile creeping on his face. "You know that thing we were talking about earlier?"

Brody stayed where he was, but brightened in response. "Yes, sir?"

"Go prepare it for this afternoon. I'd like to get cleaned up before we visit, if you don't mind," Teague announced, a full on smirk illuminating his face. Mina rose an eyebrow in mistrust.