Part 21

"You are charged with the murder of Kevin Skaff. How do you plead?"

Kellin gulped and sweated visibly as he stood before the court. I chewed on my lip, knowing he would plead not guilty, but he would end up going to prison anyway.

"Guilty," Kellin whispered. I gasped and stood up, knocking my chair back.

"No!" I cried out, tears down my face. Kellin wouldn't look at me.

The judge studied him, barely acknowledging me. "Then this court finds you guilty. With the evidence and accounts provided, I sentence you to ten years in Ocala State Prison."

My shoulders slumped forward and I left the court. When it was actually dismissed, Jeremy ran after me and hugged me. "It's okay..."

"I-it's not! I can't go to my wedding without him...ten years, Jeremy. How will he even cope?!" I sobbed against him.

Jeremy remained silent. He let go of me and went over to the judge, talking with him. I just sat there on a chair outside the court room. Alex came to sit beside me, hugging round my shoulders.

"I'm sorry, Ember," the drummer murmured. "I won't forgive him for killing Kevin, but I didn't want him locked up for so long..."

I leant against him. "What am I gonna d-do without him, Alex?" I whispered. "I n-need him... I-I love him so much..."

"I know, Em, I know." Alex sniffled. "I'm sorry...I really fucking liked him." he kissed my cheek gently before following Josh and Neil. I sniffed, wiping my eyes. Jeremy walked over.

"I managed to make a deal with the judge. Kellin can go to your wedding, on the conditions that there are armed forces there and he's in handcuffs."

I gasped and flung my arms around him. "Jeremy...th-thank you so much..."

"It's okay. Kevin wouldn't have wanted you sad at your wedding day." Jeremy smiled softly. "We'll do this for Kevin."

I nodded, resting my head on his chest and listening to his heartbeat. "For Kevin."

-----

"You look beautiful."

"Enjoy your special day, honey!"

"Jeremy's such a lucky man!"

These were the comments from Zack, Bella, and Vic in turn as I stepped outside from over two hours of make-up madness. They joined me in the limousine. Zack took my hand and kissed it. I smiled softly at him.

When we arrived, I heard the music begin to play and took a deep breath. The doors were opened for me, and I slowly made my way down the aisle as the others took their seats.

Our pianist didn't play the generic wedding song. Instead, he played a beautiful piano rendition of You Had Me At Hello.

Jeremy stood at the end of the aisle next to Josh, his best man. I could almost feel his nerves and the undeniable wave of excitement as I walked slowly. I had no one at my side, due to both of my parents being absent, but I didn't really care. The people shuffled up together on the rows were all family to me.

The crowd stood for me, smiling. I eyed Kellin on the second row. He smiled at me tiredly, his eyes circled with dark shadows. My heart ached for him, but now was not the time.

My bridesmaids, Bella and Rosie, were in gorgeous deep blue dresses, and they scattered petals and all that dumb shit ahead of me.

They sat down as I met Jeremy at the end of the aisle. He lifted my veil and I almost choked out a chuckle. He looked so god damn adorable in his black suit with rings of blue up the sleeves and on the collar, but I could see how much it irritated him. There were red marks on his neck where he'd scratched at his gripping collar. A sky blue flower stuck out of his suit pocket.

Jeremy grinned at my pale blue dress, my baby bump protruding out of it awkwardly. We'd chosen blue as the colour scheme in honour of Kevin, the colour of his beautiful eyes. He was going to be Jeremy's best man, but sadly, now all he could do was watch over.

"We are gathered here today to witness the joining of this man and this woman in holy matrimony. As requested, we are skipping the songs and going straight on to the vows. But first...if anyone has any objections to this man and woman being wed, may you speak now." The vicar aaked. After a few moments of silence, he smiled, turning to Jeremy. "Please say your vows."

Jeremy smiled sweetly, a blush coming to his cheeks. He was not a wedding man, and never would be. "I, Jeremiah Wade McKinnon..." he stopped as I sneered and shot me a playful glare, "promise to always love and cherish you. You brought a light into my life like no other, and I will always be grateful to you for helping me to become the man I am. I will always be loyal to you, until death do us part."

Jeremy's radiant, deep brown eyes bored into me. It felt like he wasn't just saying those words for the sake of it - he said each word with passion, meaning, and dignity. I smiled, tearing up.

"May you also say your vows?" the vicar asked me. I nodded happily.

"I, Ember Light Quinn, promise to always love you and be loyal to you. Jeremy...you practically saved my life. You were my first friend, and the only reason I have any friends at all. I probably wouldn't be here without you...thank you so much. I'll cherish you until death do we part."

The vicar glanced at Josh, who came over with the rings. Jeremy took mine and placed it on my fourth finger on my left hand. It fit snugly, and felt chilled against my warm skin. I slipped Jeremy's ring onto his finger, a single tear down my face.

"Then...I now pronounce you husband and wife. You may kiss the bride."

I was about to lean in for a traditional kiss, but Jeremy scooped my legs up off the ground and held me in his arms, kissing me with deep meaning. Our family and friends clapped and cheered. Neil was sobbing, and so was Zack! I'd never let them live it down.

"I love you so much, Mr Jeremiah McKinnon." I whispered in his ear as he carried me down the aisle.

"I love you more, Mrs Ember McKinnon," Jeremy whispered back, smiling wide. I beamed at my new name. It was strange to not be a Quinn anymore, even though I knew I always would be at heart.

Jeremy kissed my head. "You're more than worthy of the McKinnon name," he murmured, as though he knew what I was thinking. I giggled quietly and nuzzled against his chest, laughing as confetti and petals were thrown over us. Jeremy set me down and we ran through it, giggling like we were children again, before we got into our blue limousine.

I stared out the window at horizon, where the setting sun graced my eyes. I thought I saw the pale outline of Kevin and my Mom at the edge of the church where we had left everybody, smiling after the limousine. I smiled softly. Before Kevin had died, he'd said he'd watch over, and he had.

I'd never doubted that he would.

-----

Please comment! It means a lot c: