Instead the moans grew louder when I got to the bedroom. Pierce's naked ass was in the air as he knelt between the legs of some blonde. She was my opposite in every way—tall, slender, long blonde hair, and with small boobs. I'm petite and curvy, with short, dark hair and blue eyes. I had a good view of all of her spread out on my bed, hands clutching at the sheets, breasts thrust in the air, back arching, her legs draped over Pierce's shoulders.

In my surprise, all I said was "Oh!" and turned and left the room. It wasn't until I was back in the living room, clutching my blouse closed over my much more ample breasts that I got angry. Pierce never made me feel that good. I couldn't even remember the last time he went down on me. The last time sex was more than just a quick grope and a few minutes of thrusting that left me unsatisfied. If I suggested doing anything more exciting or drawing out the foreplay, Pierce would complain that he was too tired, and tell me that I didn't understand the demands on his time as a third year pediatrics resident trying to get into a top-tier fellowship program. I hated when he got all "I'm a doctor so I'm more important than everyone."

After a few minutes of stewing in the living room, and after hearing the shout of a climax that I hadn't had other than at my own hand in more time than I cared to remember, I stormed back into the bedroom. I went immediately to the closet. "Don't mind me! I'll just pack my stuff and go!"

I wrestled a suitcase out of the back and started throwing my clothes in. I stripped out of my interview outfit and put on jeans and a t-shirt. I'd gotten a good view of the both of them, why not return the favor? Well, not completely, as I kept on my bra and panties, but still. Modesty didn't seem like much of a priority.

The blonde squealed, though I'm not sure why, then clawed for the sheets that were tangled at the foot of the bed where Pierce sat and stared at me.

I laughed and shook my head. "Seriously. I've already seen everything. Don't bother to cover up on my account. In fact, carry on." I smirked when I noticed Pierce's deflating erection. "Or not, I guess. Either way, I'll just pack my stuff and go."

Pierce managed to unfreeze at last and get off the bed, reaching for his boxers and allowing the blonde to pull the sheets over herself. "What are you doing here, Cate?"

I poked my head out of the closet and arched an eyebrow at him. "Really, Pierce? That's what you're starting off with? No, 'It's not what it looks like!' or something?"

He ran a hand through his hair and let out a sigh, sounding like he was frustrated with me, as though this situation was all my fault. I stomped into the bathroom and grabbed my toiletries, tossing them in the suitcase and yanking the zipper closed. It took two or three tries to get it because the zipper kept slipping out of my fingers, my hands shaking with barely suppressed rage. Pierce followed me into the living room where I scanned for other things that I wanted to make sure I took with me.

"Oh. Chargers. Right." I left Pierce and my suitcase in the living room and went back into the bedroom, unplugging my phone and iPad chargers from the wall by the bed, raising an eyebrow at the blonde who just stared at me, blue eyes wide, the sheets still clutched to her chest.

I stuffed the cables into the front pocket of the suitcase and retrieved my laptop from the dining room table where I kept it. I looked around again before focusing on Pierce. "I'll come back for the rest of my stuff tomorrow while you're at work. Or will you be home again banging someone else?" I crossed my arms and raised an eyebrow, anger still thrumming through my veins.

Pierce sighed again, crossing his arms as well, his mouth pinched and nostrils flaring. "Look, Cate, you only have yourself to blame for this."

I couldn't contain the guffaw of disbelief that came out at that. "Are you fucking kidding me?"

His nostrils flared again, and he tilted his chin up so he could look down his nose at me more easily. "There's no need for foul language."

I outright laughed at that. "I come home from a shit interview to find you fucking some bimbo in our bed, and you have the nerve to tell me there's no need for foul language?" I shook my head and threw my hands in the air. "Whatever, Pierce. I'm out. I'll leave the key when I come back for the rest of my stuff." Grabbing my suitcase, I started to roll it toward the door when he fired off his parting shot, striking me square between the shoulder blades.

"If you weren't so frigid I wouldn't have to look somewhere else, you know. Like I said, you have only yourself to blame."

I cast a glance back over my shoulder. "Okay, pencil dick." I let my eyes drop to the front of his boxers, where no bulge was visible beneath the thin fabric. "Maybe if you knew how to use what you have, I'd be more responsive. I noticed you didn't have any problem making time for your friend over there to get off. Perhaps a little more effort on your part would've helped, huh? But you were always too busy for that."

"It's hard to make time for someone who's never interested." He stood there, arrogant and condescending, trying to put his cheating squarely on me. Fuck that.

I flipped him off and waved it back and forth. "Bye, Pierce. I'd say I hope you have a nice life, but really I hope that Tiffany or Ashley or whatever her name is bites your dick the next time you ask for a blowjob."

And I stormed out, promising myself I'd never have to see him again. I went back the next day and got the rest of my stuff. Connor asked for time off so he could help me, and he was pissed that I wouldn't let him destroy anything. I also only took my own stuff—things I'd owned before we got together or bought with my own money. I didn't want him to have any excuse to try to contact me again. I left the key on the kitchen counter, deleted his number from my phone, and never looked back.

Taking a deep breath to slow my racing heart, I push away the memories of Pierce and all the bullshit that I put up with from him, shaking my head at myself. I still couldn't believe what an ass he always was. God, I should've broken up with him months ago.

I finish my lunch at the little deli where I stopped, buss my own table, and move on. The warm, dry air of the Columbia River valley washes over me when I step outside and pulls me back to the present, the sunshine on my face grounding me in the here and now.

At least now I have proof that it isn't me. Max made me come hard last night. Harder than I could ever make myself come on my own. A vibrator or your own hand isn't the same as having someone else take control of your body and wring pleasure out of you. Maybe I should go back to my hotel room and pick up the pad of paper that I'd ignored since last night and give him a call. Tell him thank you and ask if he'd like a repeat performance.

I shake my head, pushing aside thoughts of last night and concerns about the future. They didn't bear thinking about. It was time now to focus on myself and getting a place of my own. I already found a couple of neighborhoods that I liked. I just need to call them and schedule times to see inside the houses I have my eye on. I'll decide what to do about Max later.

___________

Thanks everyone for reading and commenting!

Remember, the whole book is available for sale if you want to read it all at once instead of dragging it out for weeks.  Clickable links on my profile.  Check it out!