25. Roll out Fondant

Start from the beginning

But really she just couldn't go inside.

The bakery - a place where her stepdad's grandma had flourished, taught her to bake, smiled in, love in - was destroyed. The walls were still upright, the flooring was done and the glass was brushed away. But it would never change the fact that someone forcefully broke into the one safe haven she had. The one place her grandma had.

The spray paint on the walls felt like the paint had hit her own skin. The glass felt like it had sliced her own hand open.

Maisie sighed and turned down the street, walking up the driveway to Charity's house. She hopped up the steps and knocked on the door. After a few moments of waiting, the door swung open to reveal Chris, Charity's younger brother. A bright blue bath robe was covering his body and a toothbrush was sticking out of his mouth. He moved to the side and Maisie raised an eyebrow, walking inside.

"Fashionable," she said

Chris mumbled something, making toothpaste dribble out of his mouth and Maisie cringed. Chris sighed and pointed to the stairs and Maisie took the hint and left him. Her socked feet sank into the soft, thick carpet as she walked towards Charity's bedroom.

Maisie knocked the edge of her fist against the door before pushing it open.

Charity had an album playing lowly in the background on her yellow, retro CD player that sat on her bookshelf. She was putting her jeans on when Maisie walked in and glanced over, giving a quick smile.

"Hey," Charity said.

"You sure you want to wear jeans?" Maisie asked. "It's a sauna out there."

Charity looked out the window then sighed. "Fuck, give me a sec."

She took off her jeans and walked to her closet in her underwear. Maisie flopped down on her friend's bed and took her phone out.

"This better?" Charity asked, coming out in shorts and a shirt that made her look like she couldn't give two shits about her appearance

Maisie nodded and ran her hand over the thick, woollen blanket she remembered Charity's grandma giving her. It was the last birthday Charity had before she died. Maisie watched as her best friend lay down beside her and a heavy sigh escaped her.

"You okay?" Maisie asked.

Charity looked over at her before sitting up quickly and rummaging around on the floor until she found her jacket. She slid the piece of paper out and turned back to Maisie.

"I haven't managed to tell anyone yet. No one was really listening." Charity said. "But if anyone's going to be excited for me, it would only ever be you."

Maisie took the paper that was handed to her and opened it out, running her fingers over the creases. She read as Charity twisted her fingers together, her heart in her throat. Maisie blinked and then read the opening sentence again.