19. Forget About It

Start from the beginning

Trying being the main word.

Nick was the one who had come bounding over, armed with a cake magazine and a look of complete determination. Apparently, ice-cream cakes were the current craze and the whole of Arizona would bend over backwards for one. Maisie tried not to pop his bubble and mention that there were ice-cream parlours that sold those but instead looked down at the magazine image and shrugged her consent. With a bakery that's teetering on the edge between success and failure, taking a few risks was probably mandatory.

"Do you know how to make ice-cream?" Tony frowned.

"There's an old ice-cream maker grandma had for some reason in the back cupboard. We'll try and see if it works, if it doesn't then it isn't the end of the world. We just want something that makes us stand out a little," Maisie said.

"You mean something that makes you stand out from Bud's Bakers," Tony supplied and Maisie went to speak but he cut her off. "Yes, I know of the little feud going on between the two bakeries."

"That noticeable?" Maisie asked.

"It looks a little desperate but no ones judging, don't worry," Tony smirked and Maisie gave him a flat look.

She crossed her arms over her chest and sighed. "Don't you both have, oh I don't know, jobs to get to? I'm waiting for my exterminator to show up and need you both to shoo."

Cindy made a disgruntled noise. "I still can't believe that this place has rats. Just make sure it doesn't get out to the customers that you have them, no one will wants to buy from here anymore."

"Thanks, mom," Maisie deadpanned.

"You're right though," Tony said around a mouthful of cupcake. "I should be getting to work, duty calls."

"Have fun arresting the dog walkers that don't pick up their shit," Maisie said and Tony narrowed his eyes.

"Oh, and I think your exterminator is here," Tony said.

"How do you know?" Maisie asked.

"Because there's a van outside with a giant dead bug on it."

Maisie ran over to the window and the wind was completely knocked out of here. Sat on the side of the road was a basic white van which would have been discreet enough for no one to really question why it was there, until the idiot exterminator decided to strap a giant fake cockroach to the roof and make sure the whole street knew exactly what was happening.

Maisie closed her eyes and sighed in dismay.

"Fantastic," she said. "Now everyone knows we have a vermin problem."

"It's going to be fine," Cindy rubber her daughter's shoulder. "It will be over before you know it, the rats will be out and all will be forgotten."

Maisie nodded and tried to take comfort in her mom's words but little was settling her stressed out mind that was running a million miles an hour.

"Are you hanging out with your dad tonight, by the way?" Cindy asked. "Tony and I are thinking of going out."

Maisie looked over at Tony who's gaze softened when he saw the resignation and defeat clear on her face. She looked back at her mom and nodded with a smile. "Yeah," she lied. "I'll be out most the night so do what you want."

Cindy nodded and patted Maisie's shoulder one more time before clearing up the things she had thrown down on the table. Tony tipped his head down and gave a short wave. "I should be off," he said. "See you guys later."

As Sheriff Small walked out of the bakery door, another man was trying to come in and eventually with painfully awkward maneuvers and stops and starts, the two finally got through the door and were on their way. The man walked towards Maisie and plonked his giant tool box down on the table with such a loud noise the two women in the store jumped.