Chapter One - The Death of a King

Comincia dall'inizio

His eyes, though tired and fearful, were clear. But I found it hard to believe that someone as innocent and sweet as Snow White could kill her father.

"Of course I do." I managed a smile to cover up the lie.

"I made a mistake, Maris." He went on. "So long before I met you. I was so scared I was going to loose her the way I lost her mother that. . .I made her a monster."

"It's not your fault." I told him softly.

"It is." Frewin whispered. "And the thought of leaving you with her terrifies me. Please. . .y-you have to promise me something."

His breaths grew shallower, the pain in his eyes becoming sharper as his grip on my hand tightened. He was clinging to me, the way one might cling to a lifeline. I was loosing him.

"Anything."

"You have to kill her." He told me, the blood in my veins turning as cold as the wind howling outside his window. "It has to be you that ends her, Maris."

"I-I can't–"

"You have to. . ." He cried out in pain, clutching his stomach and my heart twisted.

"Your Grace. . ." Thayer's voice brought me away from my dying husband, his brown eyes grave.

"Promise him." The healer said. "If only to give him peace."

I nodded, swallowing back my tears and ignoring the tightness of my throat.

"Alright, you win again." I told Frewin, smoothing his hair again with a shaking hand. His forehead was cold.

"You promise?" He asked.

"I swear."

His whole body seemed to relax, the fear in his eyes ebbing away. A smile lit up his face, and for a moment he was just as I remembered him on our wedding day. Young again, full of hope and light as he twirled me around the dance floor as petals rained down upon us like snow. He was at peace, as if my promise to do the unthinkable had lifted every worry on his dying heart and laid it on mine.

"Thank you, darling." He muttered. "I'm. . .tired. I think I'll rest now."

I nodded, tears falling heavily now. "Okay," I could barely get my voice above a whisper. "Sleep and rest. And in the morning, I'll be right here."

"You're too good to me. . ." He muttered, closing his eyes and sighing, a smile still on his lips.

I watched him, half of me hoping that he would wake up and scold me for not resting as well. But my heart sank with each breath, which was shallower than the last. Until his chest heaved no more, and his hand was limp in mine.

I didn't even have the energy to sob or wail like I had when my father had died. I couldn't move. Not when Thayer tearfully made his exit, not when the bells of mourning tolled all around the city and made his death so final. I refused to let go of his hand, growing colder by the minute, and simply stared at his face, a relaxed smile still present on his lips.

"Papa?"

I started at the soft voice from the doorway, and turned to see Snow clutching the wood of the door, her wide blue eyes staring at Frewin's body.

"What's happened to Papa?" She asked me, her gaze turning to me. I shivered a bit, but wiped away my tears.

"Papa's gone away for a while, sweetie." I told her.

"You mean he's dead." She stated calmly.

". . .Yes."

"Oh. . ." She sighed. "Does this mean I have to wear black again?"

I frowned, watching her. No tears in those shocking eyes that reminded me of Frewin. No grief making those red lips wobble uncontrollably. She just looked bored.

Frewin's words echoed through my head.

"She's a monster!"

"She did this to me!"

And I shivered again, the fire in the room suddenly not enough to warm me up. My free hand went to the stone in the pocket of my robe, the smooth surface warm and calming.

"Yes, Snow." I told her solemnly. "We will be wearing black for a very long time."

Aaaaaand I start a story off with death yet again!!! YAY!!

Anyway, thanks again for reading!! I really hope you guys liked it. I had so much fun writing it and can't wait to write more!!

This will seriously be me if you vote and comment: