Chapter 2

Just stepping out side you could tell that the city was meant for more than 15,000 now. The buildings were stretched out clear up in the sky, and even though you couldn’t see any more, you knew there was a lot more, everywhere.

Miss Abigail’s office was one of the very few buildings next to one of the 3 parks in the city. There is a big one a medium one and then this small one in front of me. I could probably walk the width and length of the park in about 30 huge strides.

Today the park was filled with a day care that was running around playing Frisbee and jump rope. Every now and again you would hear a grown up’s stress break through in their voice as they yelled, “Stay off the road!” or “Don’t hit her!” and “Stop fighting!” I walked across the street and past the park, to a little ice cream shop that is about a block away from Miss Abigail’s office. I walked through the bright yellow painted doors and look to my left to find a girl with fire hydrant red hair. She is slurping on a chocolate shake with her feet up on the table and no expression on her face. She watches me as I order a vanilla shake and walk over to the seat in front of her. At first we said nothing, but then she takes a big long drink to finish her shake and slams it on the table.

“Finished.” She says with a hard stare. I look at her cup and then at her snooty looking face.

“Oh get over it Valery.” I rolled my eyes and took my first drink of my shake.

“I’ve been here for like a half hour,” she glared then went on to spit my name “Carmela” She didn’t like to be called Valery, she preferred Val. I knew this of course; she has been my best friend since the beginning of time.