Chapter 4

Chapter 4

(Nurse Richard------->)

 ***Warning intense content***

 It has been a few days since Dr. Covington was last here with me when he had brought me my treats, and I wondered if I had freaked him out with the way I had latched onto him when he introduced me to his staff. I wondered if he was disgusted with me if that was the reason why he hasn’t returned. I sat up in my bed and glanced out the window into the moonlit night. It was still well into the very early hours of the morning and there was a full moon in the sky. The bright rays of moonlight projected inside through the open curtains and almost lit up the room like it was the middle of the day.

I threw the covers off of my body and I got out of bed, and I made my way across the carpet in just my boxer shorts and a t-shirt. Stopping in front of my desk I pulled out the top drawer to reveal my stash of chocolate bars. I picked one up and closed the drawer before climbing back into bed to enjoy my treat. I always had a wicked sweet tooth from when I was a kid.

 I could recall my mother taking me grocery shopping with her on Saturday mornings. She would say no to almost everything that I had asked her for, but when we reached the checkout line she would always let me choose one chocolate bar of my choice and naturally with fail, I would choose the largest one.

 The smile that was on my face as my memories took me back to the days where I was an ordinary little boy watching Batman and Robin cartoons and playing with my prized G. I. Joe action figures slowly slipped away as the unwanted memories of the months that followed  after that happy time.

My mouth got dry and my hands began to shake as my mind painted the pictures from my uncooperative brain. My Mother was a young Widow raising her only son by herself up until the time I turned eight years old. My biological father was killed in an automobile accident when I was only a baby or so she had explained to me. She had remained alone all that time and I yearned to be like almost every other little boy in my neighborhood who had both a Mother and a Father. I used to sit and watch my friends as they played catch with a baseball and mitten or flag football in their front yards with their Fathers, and I found myself would envying what they had. I would turn green with jealously on the first day of school when kids came back and our first writing assignment was always what we did over the summer with our families. And when I visited my friends and watched their parents together, I wanted that for my Mom. I wanted to see her giggle like a schoolgirl when her husband came home and kissed her in the kitchen.

 I thought we had found all of what my foolishly young heart was yearning for when she met HIM.  He was perfect in the beginning of their relationship, and he went out of his way for us. He took me to baseball games and he taught me how to bait a fishing line. I had gotten my wish of watching my Mom giggle like a teenage girl with her first crush whenever he brought her flowers by the bushels load. We were happy and I no longer felt left out, I could now brag now and show off that yes, I had a Father now.  And when they sat me down to explain that they were deeply in love and they wanted to get married, I was in hog heaven, I was so ecstatic.

 The only set back was that was now my perfect family life was that we were going to have to move away because of HIS job, but I was too happy to really care if we moved  to other side of the world as long as we were a normal family.

 Everything was beautiful for over a year after their simple wedding, but t something happened that my ten year old self couldn’t comprehend at the time. My Mom had gotten really sick and the Doctor had said that she wouldn’t live out the remainder of the year. That was when things started to go downhill. With all the medical bills and Mom getting sicker and sicker, HE started to turn into a monster.  She finally died a few months after finding out she was ill and  with her death her suffering ended and soon after mine began,  that was when my…I shook myself and cut of the memories off right there. I didn’t want to remember anymore.