Chapter 8- Back to School

I rushed to the practice rooms, violin and music in hand. College auditions were coming and I need to pass. I rushed into the hall, hoping that there was an empty practice room. I just needed to practice. I didn’t want to be home alone. Gawain went out to buy a guitar or something, Alex went out on a date with Natalie, and my parents decided to go on yet another business trip. I saw the lights off in one of the practice rooms and immediately rushed to it. Shutting the door behind me, I noticed a familiar pair of Louis Vuitton shoes behind the piano. I peered in the corner and saw Riccardo’s angelic face. He was obviously sleeping. I don’t think he would mind me playing in here.

            I unpacked my violin and began to tune. “You are one hard woman to find.” Riccardo mumbled from his corner.

            “What?” I asked Riccardo. I tried to stay low and not do anything dramatic these past two days. People kept bombarding me about questions of my date to prom. Apparently, a group of guys who I’ve rejected in the past made a club and the club made a bet that Riccardo and I would go to prom together or I would reject Riccardo and go alone. I did neither and now life became living hell. I was known as the cruelest person in our school. My reputation was totally ruined.

            “I need you to go to a concert with me.” Riccardo said, getting up from behind the piano.

            “What concert?” I asked. It must be something special because Riccardo knows that I abominate concerts.

            “My debut,” Riccardo said. “I would like you to come because you’re the reason I wanted to become a singer.” Riccardo smiled at me. “I want you to sing with me.” He sat at the piano bench and began playing some chords. Soon enough, he began to sing the melody.

You’re my other half.

I need nothing else.

You’re everything and anything I could ever want.

I’ll hold you close and you will never let go

Because you’re my one and only.

            “I wrote it for you because you motivate me to do whatever I do.” Riccardo said after singing the chorus. “I need you to sing with me. No one else can. It’s the week after prom, on Friday. Please tell me if you can go.” Riccardo smiled.

            “I’ll go.” I smiled at Riccardo. He looked at me like the best thing ever just happened. “Plus, the song is beautiful. I’d be missing a lot if I didn’t sing that song.”

            “You’re the best.” Riccardo gave me that boyish smile of his. The one that made my heart flutter. It wasn’t anything special and I’ve seen it a lot, but he never smiles like that towards anyone else. “I’ll stop by your house later so that we can practice, okay?” He turned to leave.

            “No, wait.” I grabbed Riccardo’s arm. “We can go right now. I kinda need a ride.” He nodded and we walked to his car. This car drive made me realize that I actually live really far from school. Riccardo didn’t say anything throughout the car ride. I think he sensed that I really didn’t want to talk. I sat half-awake on the passenger seat of his car.

            When we finally reached my house, my car was here. Which means Gawain’s home. Yay. For some reason Gawain sensed we were home and he rushed out of the house. I can understand him being excited to see me, but why were his eyes black. I’m sure he wouldn’t want to reveal his true self to some other human. I noticed Riccardo, beside me, tense up.

            “Well,” Riccardo said dryly. “Who’s this?” Riccardo never let Gawain leave his eye sight. Honestly, I have no idea what’s going on. Even if both of them didn’t like each other for whatever reason, they shouldn’t be so outright like this.

            Gawain laughed boastingly. “Hasn’t the word gotten around to your isolated box yet? I’m her boyfriend.” Riccardo kept a calm face, but his breathing became faster. Riccardo doesn’t really get pissed off. He just breathes faster… like he’s about to run up to you and punch your face. Which he looked like he was about to do. Time to intervene. Gosh. Men.

            “Gawain,” I put my hand on his chest. “Why don’t you go inside?” He looked at me with his intense black eyes. Gawain turned and took his I’m-gonna-kill-you aura with him. I couldn’t comprehend how Riccardo could have a stare off with eyes like Gawain’s. Unless Riccardo had equally intense eyes. “Riccardo, you should go home. We can practice some other time.” I walked him to his car. I looked at his eyes, but they were still brown. Could Riccardo see Gawain’s eyes? Maybe they still appeared green to him. Riccardo got into the car and shut the door. He rolled down the window to give me a cold ‘good bye.’ “Riccardo, wait.” He looked at me strangely. I leaned into the car and kissed him on the cheek. “I’ll be waiting for the next practice day.” I smiled and he smiled back.

            When Riccardo was finally out of sight, I gave myself an epic face palm. I don’t know who is better. I don’t know whether it’ll be Riccardo or Gawain. Both of them are really similar. Well, except for the fact that Gawain is from who-knows-where.