“Hey Red Flower, when are you going to strip for me?”

That was Damian Matthews, an annoying jock. I don’t know what he was doing in the halls since he should be in some football meeting my brother was at. Maybe he didn’t want to run into my brother so early in the morning? Anyways, he calls me Red Flower because my name is Scarlet Lotus. He just makes it sound like a stripper name to embarrass me. I used to get embarrass before and cry about it but now I just roll my eyes, let out a sigh and continue on my way. It isn’t my fault my mother’s favorite flower is a Lotus. I think they are beautiful flowers. My father chose the name Scarlet since I inherited his red hair. So my full name is Scarlet Lotus Riverbank.

When I arrived to my first period class I went straight to my designated desk which was luckily at the back of the class room. My teacher, Mrs. Nuno was an easy going young lady whom was pregnant and due soon. She never gave me a hard time and didn’t really pick on me to read or to answer a question. She liked to pick the students who were slacking off instead of her top students. I had decent grades, mostly C’s and B’s, so I wasn’t really bothered. If I wanted to, I could probably get straight A’s, but I was happy with my grades. Mrs. Nuno greeted me with a polite Hello as I sat at my desk. I just smiled back. I didn’t really talk unless it was necessary.

I laid my head on my desk with my hair falling around me like a pool of blood. There was still fifteen minutes till first hour started, and I had nothing to do. My homework was done and I had studied my vocabulary for today’s story last night. I could probably leave class and look for Cleo, my friend, but that would mean I had to pass by the main hall and get teased. With a heavy sigh, I decided I was just going to stay in class with my head down. And that is exactly what I did till someone shook my shoulder.

I looked up and met James pretty face. My brother had my mother’s blonde hair and hazel eyes. He was good looking. Sometimes I envied him, well his beauty. Mother tells me all the time that I’m beautiful. I’m not sure if whether to believe her or not since I’ve never noticed any boys having interest in me. Most of them just teased me or made nasty jokes about me. I didn’t mind since I wasn’t interested in dating. I rather finish school fist, go to college, and get a job then maybe if I find someone that is to my liking, I’ll consider dating. I didn’t want to be like James or Tyler who changed girlfriends the way they changed their socks.

“Hey baby sister!” James said excitedly. I raised a questioning eyebrow at him. Shouldn’t he be at some meeting or something? What was he doing in my class anyway? I didn’t have him till third hour which was photography, my favorite class. With a sigh I sat up and gave him my full attention.

“Hi?” I said, though it sounded like a question since I was still skeptical.

“What? Don’t look at me like that!” He said in his loud obnoxious voice. I rolled my eyes and gave him an expectant look.