EIGHTEEN

As the elevator doors opened, Natasha and Steve glanced into the engulfing darkness. Gazing into the abyss-like room, Steve gripped his shield tighter as the elevator dinged, an indication to leave the safety of it. In response, almost hesitantly they stepped into the rooms embrace, instantly succumbed by darkness as each slow step was sought with reluctance before the elevator door shut behind them, causing the two to momentarily turn back before twisting back on their heels into the room.

Through the darkness, dim lights seemingly on a control panel, indicated the pathway into the room, their footsteps silent as they followed it. With each entirely focused on their surroundings, they refrained from haltering as the lights suddenly flickered on, sensing their presence before enveloping the room with light to reveal countless outdated forms of technology and machinery.

Furrowing their eyebrows, they continued onwards with intentions to study the main control panel, stepping up onto a higher levelled platform as they did so, "this can't be the data point," Natasha objected, her voice low as they stepped on the platform, "this technology is ancient."

Steve glanced at her in complete confusion, his eyebrows creased as he glanced around furthermore, his emotions mutual with Natasha as she stared around in disbelief though her eyesight was caught by a USB dock on the table. Stepping foreword, she retrieved her hard drive from her pocket with contemplation before defiantly deciding and placing it into a dock as suddenly the computers lit up.

INITIATE SYSTEM? the main computer spluttered out in a monotone voice, almost tasting the letters boringly as Natasha glanced up to it, its camera adjusting to view the pair as she slightly bent over to type as she mused, "Y E S spells yes," sending her command with a dramatic click, she smirked in achievement, a nostalgic faze sketching across her face as she added, "shall we play a game?"

Detaining a laugh at Steve's lack of one, Natasha stepped backwards and retorted, feeling obliged to explain her reference, "it's from this movie-"

"-I know," Steve objected, Natasha falling quiet at his almost offended reponse, "I saw," slightly shrugging, she returned her focus to the computer as it initiated.

As the computer booted, sudden flickers of green light sparked on the screen before an oddly familiar face with circular glasses appeared in green graphics as a voice announced, "Rogers Steven, born 1918," as Steve's eyebrows furrowed whilst the camera twisted to Natasha, "Romanoff Natalia Alianovna, born 1984," Natasha's face equally as confused, adjusting her weight onto one leg.

"It's some kind of recording?" she muttered, her assurance more of a question than a definite knowledge with the uncertainty and perplexing situation.

"I am not a recording," it objected, the computers voice obtaining emotion which momentarily multiplied their shock, "I may not be the man I was when the Captain took me prisoner in 1945," a German accent was clearly prominent in its voice, "but I am," in addition to this, his picture appeared on a screen beside the main screen, Steve instantly enveloped in disbelief as Natasha pondered if he knew him.

Glancing at the equipment, Steve gripped his shield before slowly walking the grand computer to study it for any suspicious entities, "Arnim Zola was a German scientist who worked for the Red Skull," Steve informed Natasha, his eyebrows furrowing, "he's been dead for years-"

"-false," Zola protested, cutting him short, "look around you, I have never been more alive," he countered before going on to explain, the computers around the room lighting up, "in 1972, I received a terminal diagnosis; science could not save my body- my mind, however, that was worth saving," he added as Steve turned on his heel, having made a full circle around him as he rejoined Natasha on the platform.