Chapter 6 "The debutantes' ball"

Start from the beginning

- I asked too many questions in the beginning and she spent the whole evening at Neil's arm!

- That must've been hard to see...

- You have no idea! I wanted to punch Neil!

- You have to stay calm. Tell yourself it's for Candy, said Annie laughing.

- Believe me, Annie, it's the only thing that's keeping me calm and gives me courage.

Archie arrived.

- Hello, guys! Annie, you're not going to the ball? You're not dressed...

- No, I didn't think that Neil would take Candy to a ball where young girls present themselves to potential suitors...

- Annie, said Archie, you have to think like Neil, not like you!

- I know, I'm sorry, said Annie.

- You can still come, said Archie.

- We don't have any white dresses appropriate for the ball, said Patty.

- No problem, said Archie, there's a closet full of dresses in Candy's room upstairs. You'll find some white dresses for the ball there.

- Oh... said Annie, thanks, honey. Come on Patty, we're going to get ready.

- But it's not time yet, said Archie.

- They need time to get ready, they're ladies, said Terry. Ok, I'm going. I'll see you there?

- Ok, see you later, said Archie.

Archie was trying to put his hostility for Terry aside. Terry had come to help Candy, he was really in love with her.

oOoOoOoOoOo

The debutantes' ball was a tradition in high society to officially introduce young girls to potential young suitors of the same social class. It's like they were saying:

"Here's my daughter, ready to be married!"

When they explained that to Juliet, she said:

- I don't see the use of this ball... it's like we're begging the boys to be interested in us...

- A little, said Eliza.

- I think it's an excuse to have a ball and dance, said Neil.

- Have you ever been to a debutantes' ball? Asked Juliet to Neil.

- Yes...

- And you didn't find any girlfriends?

- Euh... said Neil blushing.

- Not at all, said Eliza quickly, he only had eyes for you!

- Oh... said Juliet sceptical.

She didn't know why, but all that sounded like a lie to her ears. Her instincts were telling her not to really trust Neil and Eliza. Or was it because of Terrence? He had confirmed her suspicions. Eliza left her alone with Neil. He came near Juliet.