Chapter 4 "I will come when you call..."

In New York, Terry received the report from the private investigator he'd hired. He had to call Annie, he thought, when he read it, but no, it was better if he went to Chicago in person. He went to talk to Robert Hathaway and asked him for a few days off. But Robert had a proposition for him.

- Do you know how long you're going to stay there?

- Euh... I'm not sure. This friend needs me and I don't know for how long.

- So here is what I had in mind; I just bought a theatre in Chicago, we need new actors to make another Stratford troupe from Chicago... What would you say to be the director, you could make the auditions and have a little more responsibilities?

- Oh, but Robert, there are more competent people than me for that position.

- You're an excellent actor, Terry and you'll be an excellent director, you could continue playing Romeo, when you'll be done finding the actors... and that will also give you a salary...

- Thank you, Robert, thanks a lot.

- I'm going to call Martin and tell him that you're coming.

- Thanks again.

He went back home to tell Susanna that he was leaving for Chicago indefinitely.

- Susanna, I have to go to Chicago...

- For Candy? When will this story be over?

- I don't know Susanna, when we find her in safe and sound? Said Terry ironically.

- But Terry, you're going to leave me alone...

- I'm sorry, Susanna. Like I told you before, Candy passes before everything, even acting. Robert gave me a job working at the theatre in Chicago while I'm there.

- Can I come?

- To do what? You don't like Candy and with your handicap, you won't be able to do much. Call your mother, you can ask her to come and stay with you.

- But I want to come with you, and wait for you at the hotel or the apartment that you're going to rent...

- Susanna, the days are going to be long, and I will often be with Candy's friends. And I don't think that hearing talking about Candy from dusk till dawn is your favourite hobby... it's better if you stay here with your mother.

- Ok, Terry. I wanted to come with you, that's all.

- If it were a trip of pleasure, maybe I would have taken you with me, but it's not. I'm going to look for Candy, she's in danger.