Twisted Sisters

Overly floral perfume warned Kayla that she'd be discovered admiring what she shouldn't have moments before two women entered her office.

'Can't you do something about your messy hair?' Amy asked angrily as Kayla closed the door of the closet she'd quickly stuffed her new shoes in. 'I know you're still fresh from design school, but still.'

'It's fashionable,' Danielle said. 'One of the stylists had suggested it for the new show. It's called a clavicut or something.'

'Whatever. Where's the designs for next week's show? I haven't seen anything yet.'

'Over here,' Kayla said, trying her best to stay emotionless.

She knew that any sign of emotion from her and her eldest stepsister would explode. She was a lot like Kayla's stepmother in that way. Probably one of the reasons she was running the company since the funeral.

'Mm,' Amy said as she looked at the designs on display in the corner of the office. Her tightly curled hair reminded Kayla of Medusa. 'I thought we'd agreed on dropped waistlines? Why are all of them raised?'

'Oh, that was me. I was watching a historical drama and just knew that it would be perfect with the new hair trends,' Danielle said excitedly, her curly hair bouncing as she talked. 'I also thought we should go for a black-and-white floral theme.'

'Really?' Amy asked dubious, eyebrow lifted.

'Have I ever steered us wrong?'

'Very well.'

She glared at Kayla. It was obvious to her that she would've been fired had this been her idea. Completely unfair, but that's just how things happened between the three of them. Amy was always in charge being the eldest; Danielle was always the happy-go-lucky one that seemed to dodge all danger; while Kayla got hit by every missile sent by her stepmother and oldest stepsister just because she was there.

'Supervise her, sister. There's no room for mistakes,' Amy said to Danielle and left.

Kayla would've felt more hurt at the slight if she hadn't experienced it before.

'That was fun,' Danielle said as she closed the door. 'So, did you get them?'

Kayla nodded and retrieved the shoes.

'Wow,' her stepsister breathed as the box was opened and the shoes revealed.

'Yeah,' Kayla agreed with a smile.

'They're absolutely made for the dress you designed.' She turned to Kayla, smiling happily. 'You're going to be absolutely spectacular at the ball. And once everyone realises that these designs are yours,' she gestured to the designs in the corner, 'we'll start a branded line for you. Not even Amy will be able to fight that. Actually, I think she'll warm up to the idea once she doesn't have to make the decision herself.'

'You really think that?' Kayla asked as she locked the shoes away.

She wasn't as sure as Danielle. Those two shared blood through their mother. All they shared with her was a surname.

'Yes,' she said as she squeezed Kayla's hands.

'I should probably get your credit card...' Kayla said and pulled away, uncomfortable with Danielle's sisterly actions.

'No. You'll need it for tomorrow.'

'What?'

'I've booked you a place at Malcolm's Spa. You'll get buffed and waxed and styled so you'll look as lovely as your dress.'

Kayla blushed. She'd been reminded of her unpolished appearance at the shoe boutique.

'You work so hard, I'm sure you haven't had time to pamper yourself in forever.'

Kayla still hesitated. Malcolm's was very exclusive. And very expensive.

'Oh, come on. Everyone has the day off tomorrow. And you should do your design justice.'

Kayla nodded reluctantly. Anything for the dress.

'So, how are the seamstresses doing with the show's designs?'

'Oh, they're on schedule...'

*Thank you for reading. I hope you enjoyed this newest chapter in the tale. Vote if you did. If you have anything you'd like to say, don't hesitate to comment – I always appreciate feedback. What do you think of Kayla's stepsisters?*