The Beginning

December 7 - 1941

Today we were bombed by Japan. It was heard all throughout the island. The ground shook and we all feared for our lives.

December 8 - 1941

President Truman declared war today. We listened to the radio in our homes, hoping for more information. It turns out that Japanese suicide bombers flew their planes into Pearl Harbor on the island of Oahu. It is a scary thought that we could of heard it, being 208 miles away. I can only imagine the destruction In Oahu.

December 11 - 1941

I signed up for the Army today. I am off for training at Schofield Barracks. It sounds like such a lovely place. Mama doesn't know that I am going. I leave tommorrow, early in the morning. I'm leaving a not pinned to the mirror in my room as well as letters for each of my family members. I'm also stopping by the Post Office to leave a letter for each of my mates, Brian, Tyler, and Ricky.They deserve an explanation from me, for they cannot leave their families to fight.

December 12 - 1941

I feel terrrible. When I left the house this morning, I forgot that it was market day and that Mama would be up early. I had arrived at the station, a cool wind ruffling my hair. I was just boarding the train when I heard Mama scream my name. I whirled, realizing what day it was. Mama was being held back by two officers. Her eyes were wild with fear, darting back and forth between me and them. She grabbed one of the officers by the shoulders and sobbed, "Please! Don't take my son away from me!" The lieutenant next to her turned to me and snapped, "Private! Is this your mother?" I bit my lip, then turned away and shook my head. I could hear Mama collapse and she choked, "Jimmy! No!" I straightened my back, raised my chin, and marched up the stairs. I found my seat among the many other privates around my and sank into it just as the train started moving. My last glimpse of my mother was of her on her knees, tears in her eyes and one hand stretched out towards the spot were I had disappeared. Then, the train pulled out of the station.

आप प्रकाशित भागों के अंत तक पहुँच चुके हैं।

⏰ पिछला अद्यतन: Nov 08, 2013 ⏰

नए भागों की सूचना पाने के लिए इस कहानी को अपनी लाइब्रेरी में जोड़ें!

Dark Nights and Japanese Soldiers: The Diary of Captain James Gunnerजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें