Leviathan

We all die eventually, I've known that since I was little but I've never seen it come in front of me before. I never thought the last word I would say to my wife and daughter would be 'goodbye'. I said that fateful word three weeks ago now. At least I think it was three weeks, the definition of a day is changed when you're on a military submarine. I stared out the porthole in the sleeping quarters, waiting for that thing to bring itself out of the darkness again. I only caught a glimpse last time. Whatever it was it was huge. All lights were off on the Sous L'eau. Everyone was waiting as I was. Everyone fearing whatever the hell was out there.

After what felt like an eternity, it reared its horrific head once more. It was a sight to behold in terror and awe. It's face was long and skinny with rows of curved, serrated teeth. It's skull was visible under its translucent scales. The eyes were completely blacked out. Behind the head and maw snaked a serpentine body at least twenty times the length of our sub, and our sub was hardly small. The skin on the body was an opaque grey-blue and muscle rippled underneath in its leisurely and graceful movement through the water. Bioluminescent spots glowed faintly along its side. The tail came into view, similar to a shark's but more forked and sleek, and undoubtedly more powerful. The rest of its body slipped out of view once more.

A trembly voice rose from the silence behind me. "I can't take this anymore". The speaker sprinted for the control deck, pushing past sailors and making a damn racket as he did so. I ran after him, trying to stop him or at least calm him down. I couldn't do it in time. He crashed through the askew door of the control deck and threw himself past the stunned captain and first mate onto the main control panel. Lights blared on, blasting through the water and crashing on the hide of the Leviathan. It whirled towards us, faster than any living thing should be allowed to move, unseen fins burst into full flare and bioluminescent spots exploded into sharp blue light. It's hideous maw opened and it lunged, coiled and crushed.

To be fair, there could be a lot worse last words than goodbye.

------------
What do you think about turning this into a book of its own? I like the idea of enormous deep sea monsters.

Cheerio!
- WizardofAlf