It's a start

The next few days at Casa Cabello were hectic and tense to say the least.

A handful of women were enjoying the luxury they were now experiencing, while others huddled in groups waiting for the sky to fall. Lauren leaned against a far wall, as a silent Eve stared out a nearby window, alone wishing that a time where they all felt safe would come sooner rather than later.

" You should go talk to her." Camila whispered softly as she stepped closer to Lauren.
Not even flinching from the sudden appearance of her lover, she replied softly, " I don't know what to say. She's been through something that makes me want to just scream, and I can't even imagine what would take that kind of hurt away."

"Nothing will ever take it away completely Lauren,  but having someone to talk to about it, having a friend, and knowing they care, it makes a difference." Camila advised softly, giving her a soft kiss on the cheek before going and checking on the other women, knowing the detective wouldn't be able to resist the teen for much longer.

Giving into the urge to talk to the teen, Lauren quietly made her way towards her, making sure to sit close enough to talk but far enough that the teen felt safe. She watched as Eve's shoulders tensed once she registered her presence, yet relaxed when she realized who it was sitting next to her.
They spent the next few minutes in silence both waiting for the other to say something. Lauren was actually surprised that it was the teen that broke the silence.

"This is all some cosmic joke." Eve whispered softly, making Lauren furrow her eyebrows confused.

" What is?" She asked curiously.

"This." Eve said waving around the living room.
"The nice house, cozy bed, people with soft smiles, eager to help us feel safe. It's a joke, because when all the bad guys that have pissed you all off are put away, there will be more to take their place. Good things don't last forever, and a few good deeds don't change the world. Nothing will ever change it. Some of us are born lucky and others are screwed from the moment we enter this world. Being here is only stalling the inevitable.  A year from now, you'll be back to your life, and I'll be in a home with a handsy foster dad, or in a warehouse as a whore. None of this will change that. Nothing is ever going to change that." Eve whispered quietly, her voice almost devoid of any emotion but clear certainty.

Lauren blinked back tears as she struggled to think of  a reply.

To know that the teen truly felt as if that was all the world had to offer her, made Lauren feel as if someone had reached into her chest and had a vice grip on her heart. She couldn't imagine how a child could feel like that, especially since her happy childhood was so relatively normal. If Arianna hadn't had Lauren and her family, Eve's fate could have been hers, and that thought had bile rising in her throat.

"Your wrong. Yes, the world is a shit place. And yes, you were dealt a shit hand, but what happened to you, what you went through, doesn't define who you will be. Only you do. Believe me when I tell you, there are genuinely good people out there that will fight for you, and help you in any way we can so that whatever it is you choose to do with your life is just that, your choice. Because despite what you have been through has made you believe, there are those of us out there who would die to make sure you have the choice to do whatever it is you want to do. Your voice, your mind, your beliefs matter. I hope one day you truly understand that, because the world is full of endless possibilites, and just because sick vile perverts took advantage of you now, doesn't mean that life is over for you, or that you only have one road in life. Life is what you make of it, and that starts now with getting healthy and getting back to school. When you turn eighteen, you have the option to go wherever you want, do whatever you want. I will personally make sure that you get to, because your worth so much more than those bastards made you believe." Lauren whispered softly, turning to look into the teens tearful eyes.

"What makes you believe I'm worth anything? I'm tainted, dirty, in a way you couldn't possibly understand. No matter how many showers I take, I can still feel them on me, like they've imprinted themselves into my skin like parasites. Am I still worthy in your eyes now?" Eve mocked angrily, wiping the tears from her cheeks as if she loathed the idea of them being there.

"Yes. If anything it makes you more worthy in my eyes. Everything right now is grey for you, like the world has lost all color, all its meaning. The beauty is gone and you see it in the Grey color it's in because your hurting, and angry, and you have every right to be. More right than most. But, if you want more than what you see, and you accept help when it's offered and work with everything you are to heal that pain and anger inside you, than I promise you, the Grey will fade, and one day when your ready light will shine through, and you see the world how it's meant to be seen, full of beautiful colors and spots of grey, and you'll appreciate it for how it is, because you've seen the best and the worst it has to offer. Right now is you have knowledge of the worst, but if you let me I can help you see the best, but you'll have to trust me, and those that are in this house, because we are doing everything we can to wipe the board clean for you. So that you can walk down the street and not be afraid. What happened to you is not the norm, and there are truly amazing foster families out there that treat their kids like family, unfortunately we live in a city that's over worked and riddles with crime, but it won't always be this bad. As it is we've already taken in nearly fifty men this week and that's only the beginning, because by this time next month I guarantee you, hundreds will be put away without bail. All were asking of you is to not give up, to keep fighting, because life is worth more than you have seen, I promise you, you are worth more. I know it." Lauren said fiercely, looking into the teens eyes with and look of such fierce determination, the teen felt a a spark of hope light within her.

It was a small spark, but it was there none the less. And to Lauren, it was a start.
.................................................

Lauren and Camila made sure to touch base with most of the new women that had been taken in at least once a day, holding meeting informing them of the successful raids and the number of criminals they were able to put away so far. By the first two weeks of their stay, Lauren's team had already incarcerated over a hundred and fifty people, the numbers climbing daily.
More and more were being taken from the streets and the drug lord lawyers were starting to get so overwhelmed, that they were throwing many of the lower status grunt men to the public defenders. Their first mistake, as Lauren's team were able to make deals for more and more information on the main bosses. Luis and Shawn were truly starting to feel the heat on them, and with Camila's heavy donation to law enforcement, the precinct were hiring more and more ex military fresh out of the academy, who were hitting the streets hard.

Lauren was exhausted but satisfied as her and her team trudged into the kitchen as everyone was making dinner. They had just done a huge raid on one of Mendez ed drug houses, hoping he would be there but was unfortunately absent. They may not have found him yet, but they managed to arrest almost seventy people, and confiscated more drugs than any other unit in one bust.

When Lauren was noticed in the kitchen, she noticed her family and Camila's eyes brighten as their shoulders dropped in relief.

She felt guilty that they all worried so much, but her heart warmed by their obvious love. Having someone to come home to on a day like today, made Lauren more focused and determined to make it home every day.

The first thing she did was drop a kiss on Ericka and Stacy's head as they sat at the table, while giving Eve a soft smile. She then hugged her family, accepting grateful kisses on the cheek from her sister and mother, and tight hugs from her father and brother.

Her favorite part of coming home was always the loving kiss she shared with Camila, always happy she saved the best for last.

"How'd it go mija?" Mike asked after Lauren had pulled away from her quasi girlfriend.

"He wasn't there but we snagged his main drug houses and almost seventy of his men. I still call it a good day." Lauren replied loud enough so that room could hear.

"How many does that make now?" Asked Clara impressed.

"Three hundred and six so far, we had another team sweep the streets so today's been a very good day." Demi answered tiredly, plopping down in a empty chair and grabbing a plate.

"It's a good start." Lauren announced with a grin.

"A very good one." Eve whispered quietly to herself, unaware of the small smiles around her.

Camila met Lauren's eyes, smiling proudly as she leaned in for another small kiss. "It sure is." She whispered pulling away.