the ruby-haired boy

The whole support group consists of the two boys talking about themselves and random topics that Josh came up with. Occasionally stopping when the group had to talk about themselves. It was Josh's turn to talk about himself to the group.

"My name is Joshua Dun. People call me Josh. I'm 19 years old."

His voice was shaky. There was an intense moment for him when everyone's eyes landed on him, slicing through him like a blade and attacking his knees making him stand funny.

"Why are you here today Josh?" The older man's name was Dallon Weekes and he was tall, very tall.

Josh's eyes flicked back and forth from the people staring at him. "I-I..."
Suddenly, Tyler stood up.

"My name is Tyler Robert Joseph, I'm 18 years old..." Tyler talked about himself as Josh sat himself down smiling that Tyler basically saved him talking in public.

Josh felt like Tyler was his guardian angel, he couldn't help but stare at Tyler focusing on his features and analysing them. Like how his bottom teeth were crooked, how plump his lips were, the way his hands moved when he talked and the way he speaks is like a safe haven. He spoke with meaning even if he was unable to pull together extended vocabulary into a sentence. He made poetry fascinating to Josh.

"Thank you Tyler. Next?"

-

The two boys were walking out of the community centre talking about school and college.

"I'm going to take a year break before I start college because I'd like to discover more poetry and write some more and then my vocabulary will extend more and I'll be able to sound interesting and people will want to hear me talk."

Josh knew Tyler wasn't very confident with his speech and people sometimes got bored of hearing Tyler go on and on.

"If it helps, I'm very interested by what you talk about." Josh smiled at Tyler attempting to cheer the boy up. "Your passion for poetry is different to other guys I've met."

Tyler sat on the grass with Josh. "I know I'm different. I don't like it because sometimes people look at me funny and then I get nervous and then I don't talk for a while. Once I didn't talk for 4 months and my parents were worried and my little brother thought I lost my voice box so he tried to find it for me."

Josh sighed listening to the boy's story. "I know how you feel; I don't really speak that often."

"Why? You have a nice voice. People would say it's soft but I don't understand that metaphor because you can't feel voices."

"I'm a pro at imperfections. Everyone just stares at me, and by me I mean my scar. My giant fucking ugly monster scar." Josh lightly glazed his fingers along his mark.
Insecure. Josh was insecure. Tyler confirmed that to himself.
Another thing he confirmed to himself was that he wasn't sure what to do. He's not the best at comforting people.

"Would you like to hear a poem?"
Josh looked at Tyler directly in the eye before Tyler looked at the ground feeling uncomfortable.

"Sure, why not."