Part I

Grey's POV (Last part of Chapter 64 of HBK, written originally in Jay's POV)

Jay stares after the plane in disappointment.

He's too late.

I walk up to stand beside him as I follow his gaze. I pat him on his shoulder, trying to be optimistic for once, "You can tell her when she comes back."

He nods, saying nothing. He definitely wants to, but he's very hesitant of it.

I reassure him, saying, "It's only a month."

Except...it wasn't.

________________________________________

Twelve months. A. whole. fucking. year.

Yet there's no sight of her.

I bang my phone atop my desk in frustration, after ringing up Lawson for the billionth time. I knew it. She made the same mistake I did, I told her specifically not to leave, and yet she does. I tried making use of my sources, getting someone to track her down, but I'm abandoning the plan. I've now realised that this is on her, its her decision to come back or not. All I have to do is try to get JT back in one piece.

I'm pulled back from my thoughts when a voice echoes across the hall, "So you're finally home Ferrot? I ordered some pasta, its on the kitchen counter. I need to leave for the night shift, see you in the morning."

I follow the voice to see Nancy in the hall. She's in her scrubs, her long brown hair braided and her face is covered by a few stray strands and her usual scowl. For some reason, her mere sight makes me speechless. I manage to mutter something in acknowledgement and she leaves for the hospital, where she works as a nurse.

I'm still standing at the same spot, thinking about her. Her attitude, her personality, and the seldom smiles seemed to have made an influence on me.

"You like her", Lawson's nagging voice makes its way into my mind from the time she first met Nancy. Maybe I do like her, but I would die before admitting it.

___________________

A groan escapes my mouth as I struggle to finish studying. Its my second year of college, studying chemical engineering. It requires a lot of effort but atleast I enjoy it. I glance at my watch to check the time.

Ten pm.

I slam my book closed and grab my jacket and keys in a hurry as I leave for the racecourse.

JT's been in the dumps ever since Lawson left and does not race anymore. Which leaves me a spot to conquer, that is, after beating Xavier. I meet Nancy in the driveway just as she was walking up to our building. "Going for a race huh?" I merely nod, leaning against the passenger side of my car.

"You mind if I tag along? It's been a while since I did something fun" she asks me,

"... and you get someone to cheer for you", she adds in sarcastically. I roll my eyes as I tell her to hop in. She leans towards me, putting her hands to my sides.

I lose control of my breath, our proximity making me uncomfortable, yet her almost-black eyes put me in a trance.

We stare at each other, having a really intense moment, and as I raise a questioning eyebrow at her, she replies, "You're blocking the car door".

I realise as I notice her hand, which was actually gripping onto the handle. I slip away from there, letting her in and rush into the driver's seat, as we make a short and uncomfortable trip to racecourse.