Chapter 1

DST1: ch 1

I step up on the block and wait to hear the familiar buzzer. The people in the stands go silent as they wait for the event to start. I shake my arms out some more taking in deep breaths to calm my racing heart. I let out a breath as the official starts to talk.

"Swimmers take your mark." He says into the radio like thing to sound throughout the pool area. I grab onto the edge of the block balancing on the balls of my feet. I wait to launch myself into the freezing water taking deep breaths, and go into my own little world.

The buzzer sounds and I lunge off the block into the freezing cold water. Not diving too deep, though, to slow me down. I hold a tight streamline doing three butterfly snaps before I break the surface. Without taking a breath I start to swim wanting to beat the girls on either side of me. This isn't a short swim at all, coach put me in the five hundred. I pace myself without going too slow or too fast.

I take long hard strokes pulling me through the water. I take one breath after my first flip turn, once I do my first two strokes coming out of it. I don't see the girls on either side of me, but I know they are close so I kick harder.

After keeping a lead of the two girls next to me I know I'm going to win. With the two red lines on the counting board thing they put in the water I know this is almost done. I take a breath right before the flags sprinting into the last flip turn, and sprinting back to the other side of the pool. As soon as I finish hard hitting the touch pad I come up gasping for air.

I ignore everyone and everything as I try to control my breathing. I take in deep breaths before slowly letting them out. After a few times I look up to my friends. They are all smiling at me and talking, but I don't know what they are saying as my head is still pounding along with me still tuning them out. I look to the score board to see my time and the places, our team getting first, second, and third. I smile looking to the girl on my left to shake her hand, and then do the same with the girl on my right, along with saying good job.

"Swimmers, hop out." The official says. I hop out of the pool quickly only to be pulled into a group hug. I just stand there still breathing heavy as they all congratulate me.

"Guys, I need air." I get out trying to breathe. They let me go letting me start panting. "Thanks." I smile.

"No problem, but I have to go get ready my relay is next." Kailey says. I nod following her to her lane.

"You will do great." I tell her seeing her get a little nervous.

"Thank you." She says pulling her goggles over her eyes. She stretches and shakes her muscles out before she has to swim.

After finding out we won, and High-fiving the other team, we hurry to go change. Since it's an away meet we have to hurry to get on the bus. I pull my sweatshirt over my head trying to get it over my bun.

"Did you hear what the score was?" Mikaela asks pulling her sweatpants on. I look at her quick shaking my head.

"No, why did you?" Lauren asks. They are twins, but not identical, and their personalities are total opposites. They both have dark brown almost black hair and brown eyes. The only thing they can agree on is swimming, while everything else is a battle.

Lauren has on the black swim team sweatpants with a pink Florida sweatshirt on. Mikaela is wearing gray sweatpants from Pink and a navy blue fleece from the swim team. Lauren's hair is combed out straight while Mikaela's hair is in a side braid.

"Yes, yes I did." Mikaela says proudly. I roll my eyes stuffing my stuff in my swim bag.

"I heard we won by a lot today because of you." Kailey says. I look up at her and raise an eyebrow. "I'm not kidding. Yeah we would have won anyway, but apparently you were they one that brought us the most points." She says amazed.