Teardrops Of A Lightweight

Start from the beginning

Because every time you touch my hand,I can feel those powers of yours running through your veins. I felt them coursing briskly. I felt so small again!

“I can kick Pete’s butt any given Sunday.” I laughed. “You know that–”

“Jay! Where’s that beer?” I glanced behind me, seeing the blonde–of tonight– leaning against an empty table. This was turning into one of the worst New Year’s party ever.

Pete was known for having this party at his family bar every year. All friends and family came, and all we ever did was have a great time. I’ve known Pete since we were in diapers, and, since meeting Jay, every year was the same.

He would meet a girl, take her home, fuck her brains out, and I would come to clean the scantily clad messes.  I knew I should’ve been used to it by now, but it isn’t something that’s easy to watch all the time.

“You better get back to her.” Pete said, “ You know Kenny is going to be all over her.”

Jay sighed. “Humph… He can have her for later. She’s too touchy! I need a chill chick for later. I want this New Year’s to be relaxed.”

“You’re not getting trashed this year?” I asked. Thank God!

“Nope,” he smiled, popping his p.

“Well, I am!” I grabbed the shot glass from Pete’s hand. “Cheers!”

It seemed eighteen shots later I was the life of the party. I danced with every girl and guy in the bar–even kissing a few. I knew that come New Year’s Day I would regret it, but I know I was tried of it.

I was tried of trying so hard for Jay. I was tried of being the mature girl everyone had to rely on. I wasn’t going to be taken advantage of anymore. I was going to be free-willed. That was my New Year’s resolution. I was going to be a whole new Jessica St. George.

Two thousand twelve was going to be my year. But I really didn’t want to ring in the New Year with a hangover.

After pulling away from some girls I just met, I grabbed three bottles of water from behind the bar, knowing that this was what I needed. I headed up the stairs, going into Pete’s loft above the bar.  It was much quieter in his spacey loft. 

As I hydrated myself, I walked toward the bathroom, feeling the urge to urinate. As I passed through the condo I knew so well, I heard it.

I knew this unmistakeable sound of Pete’s mahogany headboard banging against the brick wall. It was only 11:30, and someone was having more sex than I ever was. I had to tell them that we would be cheering for the New Year in a matter of time. It always got quiet when the Ball dropped, and no one needed to hear his or her sex escapades.

I opened the door, freezing.

Now, being best friends with a guy, I never actually saw him with his conquests. Why would I want to? It would kill me even more if I ever did, and right about now it was!