James said, "He just does, alright?"

"What have you boys done?" Lily demanded.

"Why's it always got to be what have you done?" James asked, "Why can't it be I trust you and I'm sure you've got it under control?"

"Because it's you lot," Lily replied.

James grinned.

"Seriously, Potter."

"Seriously, Evans, I can't tell you."

"But why?"

"Because." James had gotten his textbook out and he sat now on the little stool by his telescope, flipping open to the pages they were assigned to be studying that night. He dragged his fingers across the information as he read it.

"Because why?" Lily persisted.

James looked up. He had to make her shut the bloody hell up. Luckily, he knew just the trick. "Look, Evans. I'll tell you everything you want if you'll give me a snog."

Lily looked surprised, "What?"

"You heard me. You want information - you'll have to pay for it. Snog with me for ten minutes in the common room when we get back and I'll tell you the whole story top to bottom."

Lily shook her head, "You're ruddy impossible!" With that, she turned away, facing her back to him.

James smirked, glad she had shut up at last about Sirius. Although, he couldn't help but think that it would've been nice if she'd agreed to it. Really, it was a win-win proposition for him.

Lily couldn't stop worrying about Remus and Sirius and what was going on out in the Shrieking Shack. She told herself everything was alright and that James Potter would've been more worried if there was even a possibility of things going south, but then again James had also been incredibly calm during that brush with Lord Voldemort back in first year, she thought. James and his fear factor were not stable and they weren't the best scale to measure against. It was churning her stomach, just thinking about all the ways Sirius going out there could go poorly. Remus wouldn't ever forgive himself if something happened to Sirius! She worried and worried all through Astronomy, unable to focus on the stars they were studying.

When they got back to the common room, James went over to the fire to make himself a cup of tea before bed. Peter ran right up to the dormitory, eager to put away his telescope and books and get to sleep. Lily hovered by the stairs.

"Potter," she called.

James looked up. "Evans?"

Lily hesitated. Then she hurried over, quick as a lightning bug, and put her palms on his shoulders and gave him the fastest little peck ever. She hadn't even hit his mouth full on, but more on the chin or the cheek, only just catching the very corner of his lips on the right side. She pulled back, sick to her stomach. He blinked down at her, a bewildered expression on his big stupid face. Lily asked, "What's that get me for information?"

James swallowed back the feelings that were coming bubbling up inside him. He had never in all his life had feelings like this and they were intense - almost scary because of how intense they were. He wanted something - something more. He wanted her lips fully on his, wanted to taste her and feel her breath and feel the weight of her pressed against him... His brains had gone all fuzzy and daft.

"I... uh..."

Lily gave him a look, prodding him forward, "Well?"

"I said ten minutes would get you the whole story," James said.