Chapter Two- Phone Call

I was giddy with excitement when pulling into the gravel drive way. Unbuckling my seatbelt with haste, and nabbing the banquet of flowers next to me, I hopped out of the vehicle making my way around toward the passenger seat.

Rosy's head shot up in panic when I opened the car door. Her blue eyes widening with fear as she stared at me.

"Sorry, sorry. Did not mean to frighten you." I reassured, taking a couple steps back to show I mean no harm. Hesitantly, my arm stretched with the vivid flowers towards her. Rosy's eyes flickered to the roses, then back at me. She looked skeptical.

"There for you." I announced slowly, wondering if she can understand me.

Her stare went back to the flowers again, but she never attempts.

"That's alright. I can carry them, no biggie." For the second time that day, I let my hand drop, the expensive roses firmly in my grip.

I was surprised she kept her head up this time and even more thrilled that I had her attention, a flicker of curiosity went through her features, but as all good things they come to in end, she quickly averted her eyes.

It's small, but at least it's progress.

My phone started to vibrate within my suit pocket. Already knowing who it is, I turned from Rosy and answered. "Hey Goldilocks, how are you?"

"You know I hate that nickname." The sweet voice replied back, causing a wide smile to emerge on my face.

"How did everything go between you and your sister?" She continued.

"Well, uh, I found out at the last moment she lost her hearing... Do to a head injury a long time ago, from what the nurse told me anyway. We just got back home, so now I'm going to have to find any way to make her as comfortable as possible. She starts therapy Thursday."

"Don't worry, everything is going to work out fine."

"I hope so Mara. This is all brand new to me, I never raised a teenaged girl before."

"And I'm sure you're going to do great. Look, you are a smart guy Shane, just believe in yourself." She praised.

A familiar warmth spread in my chest. "I love you, more then anything right now I wish you were here."

"I love you too. I'm only on this trip for just a few more days. Besides, this is an excellent time for you and your sister to be together. She is the number one priority."

Our conversation was cut short when I heard the crunch of gravel. I turned around to see a cop car pull into the driveway, parking beside my own vehicle.

"Hey Mara, I'm gonna have to let you go." I said, watching as a police officer stepped out of the car.

"Oh ok."

"Bye." I hung up the phone, making my way over to the authority figure. "Can I help you with something?"

The cop wiped some crumbs off of his uniform. "Matt sent me here to watch over your house for awhile. I won't be a bother, and it won't always be me, you'll only see this old man in the day shift."

He didn't have to explain to me why, Rosy was under witness protection because her kidnapper was still out in the streets. It was that simple.

"How long is this going to last exactly?" I questioned, shifting my gaze to the girl in my car. As if on cue she lifted her head to take a quick glance at me. I caught her eye for a fleeting second before she goes back to staring at her hands once more.

"It's only for a couple of months, 24 hours a day. Then after that Officer Matt volunteered to check on Rosy every once a week, those weekly visits will continue on until... Until he gets caught."

"I see. What was your name again?"

"The name is Walter McGee, and I already know who you are Mr. Shane Fox." The cop turned back to his car. "You can do about your business now, just pretend I'm not even here- and oh! If you ever do need me, give a holler and I'll be there."

I thanked him and watched as he made himself comfortable, relaxing back in his chair with his feet propped up on the dashboard. Walter McGee than gave me a thumb's up.
•••
What do you guys think on this chapter? Pretty good so far?